The 3Q/3D Trip - Day One - Arkona

Kane

I just got back from day one of the three-quarry, three-day huntapalooza (hence the 3Q/3D). A few of our members will be with us for one, two, or all three days and locations. 

Day one was Arkona, and we had on site @Malcolmt, @Shamalama, and @crinus.  For me, it was a first time meeting the latter two, and they are certainly great TFF guys. :) After a while, it was just me and Malcolm continuing on for the whole 8 hours of bench-clearing, hauling and splitting. I think we made out pretty well in the Widder. We probably cleared out a good 15 or more feet. 

We were so engrossed in our chase for Greenops that we hardly had any time or thought for photos. But I did manage to snap this one of our bench from halfway through the day:

IMG_4277.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So, what did we find? @Shamalama will have to share some pics with us at some point as he made his way to the south pit. On our way out, I think we spotted @middevonian

Back at the north side, quite a few nice pyritized nautiloids were found, I got a few more Tornoceras uniangulare, and other pieces that still need to be photographed. Malcolm found not one full Greenops - but two! (and possibly some promising ones). 

I found not one... but three. One of them I still need to photograph, but that may have to wait until this big trip is done. I did, however, snap an on-site picture of my day's trip-maker: a plate with two full Greenops(!). One of them is tucked under the matrix, and the other needs to be revealed more. The plate also has a few impressions, and even a spirifer for those who like that sort of thing.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's trip to Brechin, and then on to Bowmanville on Sunday.

IMG_4280.JPG

That plate with the two Greenops will be fantastic.  :wub:You even had a third one :trilo: on there, upside down across one of the others; you can see the impression.  Hope you have that side of the plate.

Looking forward to the rest of the story... :popcorn:

Well done, Professor! 

Well done. ;)

:popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Kane yup, I did good in the South pit. Can't upload pics from my phone on the forum mobile pages it seems, but I found a roller Phacops iowaensis southworthi. Close to 2cm diameter. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Was pleased on the results of the day.  2 complete greenops,a nice complete pyritized cephalopod, a phylocarid and a couple of potential complete greenops....not bad for an old guy.... Next leg of this 3 day event (Brechin) starts at 6:00Am in the morning.....The big event though is the Bowmanville isotelus hunt on Sunday.......

Good luck on the next leg, guys! 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Nice stuff.  As a westerner who some day plans (or at least hopes) to do a sweeping fossilpolooza tour of the east coast... Are these quarries open to regular folks?  

1 hour ago, Malcolmt said:

Was pleased on the results of the day.  2 complete greenops,a nice complete pyritized cephalopod, a phylocarid and a couple of potential complete greenops....not bad for an old guy.... Next leg of this 3 day event (Brechin) starts at 6:00Am in the morning.....The big event though is the Bowmanville isotelus hunt on Sunday.......

Will we get to see a pic of the phylocarid? :wub:

Great find(s) ! :D
Cant wait to see that plate prepped :popcorn::popcorn:

Congrats !

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

That plate with the two Greenops will be fantastic.  :wub:You even had a third one :trilo: on there, upside down across one of the others; you can see the impression.  Hope you have that side of the plate.

Looking forward to the rest of the story... :popcorn:

I scoured the rocks to no avail in search of that third one. :( The trip actually started with a heartbreaker: out weathering in the open a small slab with three... impressions only. There were also more almost-full ones being pulled out than full ones, obviously, but better than isolated heads and tails (of which we encountered more than we could count). 

9 hours ago, Shamalama said:

I found a roller Phacops iowaensis southworthi. Close to 2cm diameter. 

You lucky dog! And no tiny bug either by the sounds of it. Were you also being swarmed by ladybugs on your side of the river?

Speaking of those bugs, had an opportunity to play with them a bit. I would consider this my first more involved prep - and one that made me very nervous given how delicate these can be. Well, both my prep and these bugs are far from perfect. They have a few problems. The one at the bottom is missing some spines, and the top one lost a bit of exoskeleton on the cephalon and would require some minor restoration (not something I have ever done). 

Picture 1: how it looked in the field

Picture 2: After about an hour of prep using the engraver to carefully remove some surrounding bulk matrix, and then a lot of sewing needle work under magnification

Picture 3: More needle work and some light abrasion using a Paasche and baking soda at about 25-30 PSI.

There's still a bit of gunk in the ribs, I could smooth out the dremel marks, and even possibly risk digging around the specimens a bit more (but I'm far from confident with my rookie lack of skills). If anything, it is improved, and I am somewhat pleased with how these came out. If I had to grade these on the "Malcolm Prep Excellence Scale," I'd give it about 3/10 :P 

fullsizeoutput_34a.jpeg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4195.JPG

Looks Like you done good to me.......

Heck one of the complete greenops I found on Friday didn't even make it to the prep bench. When I unwrapped it the piece had crumbled into about 1000 pieces. Nothing left to salvage... That shale we were excavating was super wet at the contact point the greenops were in.

Well done, Kane!

Looks really good to me!  :) 

@Kane  Great job both finding and cleaning up those Greenops. Are you gonna go back for more while the weather holds out?

I'm home and have my photos downloaded. Just need to organize and write some stuff.  In the meantime, here is a shot from the river bank of where you and @Malcolmt were working.

IMG_20171020_132534915.thumb.jpg.a89cda92380ecd65683653f30f503738.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

@Kane  Great job both finding and cleaning up those Greenops. Are you gonna go back for more while the weather holds out?

I'm home and have my photos downloaded. Just need to organize and write some stuff.  In the meantime, here is a shot from the river bank of where you and @Malcolmt were working.

IMG_20171020_132534915.thumb.jpg.a89cda92380ecd65683653f30f503738.jpg

Great snap! Another trip to Arkona is possible if, as you say, the weather holds out. It has treated me fairly well this season, at least in being quite generous with its Greenops. :D It was great hunting with you, and I really hope we get to do it again. I'm eager to see that southworthi when you get the chance!

Thanks all for your kind comments on that prep job on the spiny pair. Having more of the proper tools really makes a big difference in terms of time and results. There's also a small chance that there may be more in that rock.

Archived