Petwood with worm and fossil poop?

Munroney

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify these strange fossils I found in the atacama desert in South America. I believe 2 of them are seeds of some sort, and petrified wood with what looks to be a worm, and also a weird poo looking chunk. any thoughts? Thanks 

The seeds?

image.jpeg.9e0cf162186a387c851ecbf21020a376.jpeg

petrified wood with worm? 

image.thumb.jpeg.cca4f643ddd937c9940ff06424a99a0b.jpeg

image.jpeg.58213f93ba016c9efd353899afe799ae.jpeg

petrified poo

image.jpeg.617cfab54c63167aa6e92240735ed277.jpegimage.jpeg.45eae6e8f0a88f1f689ef669d6e1544b.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. I guess the 'worm' could be termite borings that were filled with agate (silica)...?

9 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Is it a marine site? if so, the tubes are most likely worm. 

Yes it is a marine site. Found lots of megalodon teeth and whale fossils as well. Very rich area for many different fossils. 

Just now, Munroney said:

Yes it is a marine site. Found lots of megalodon teeth and whale fossils as well. Very rich area for many different fossils. 

In that case, I'd go with worm tubes, but I could be wrong. Maybe the tubes were made before the wood washed into the ocean?

Btw, I'd love to see some pf your other finds.

I agree with teredo marine clam borings in wood if that is what others are calling "worm tubes" AKA shipworm burrows.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

20 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I agree with teredo marine clam borings in wood if that is what others are calling "worm tubes" AKA shipworm burrows.

Yes, thats what I meant. 

I agree with the others. The other things look like concretions to me. Welcome to the forum from Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Wouldn't Teredo borings leave a shell lining, as in the pic above? I don't see any trace of such in the item in question (maybe a  thin trace of one in the lower right of the first pic of that item?)

10 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Wouldn't Teredo borings leave a shell lining, as in the pic above? I don't see any trace of such in the item in question (maybe a  thin trace of one in the lower right of the first pic of that item?)

Not necessarily, the shell lining could have been dissolved away. You can see a small gap in between the teredo and the wood, perhaps thats where the shell lining would have been?

59ec2202abc61_ScreenShot2017-10-22at3_43_24pm.png.909af846bf64b80fb4bb163b6896ed7f.png

Only some of the Teredolites  have a carbonate shell lining. Most do not. Many were made by boring clams that most likely did not also create a carbonate shell lining. Other types of suspension feeders (worms) may have created a shell lining. See desription from University of Kansas:

http://ichnology.ku.edu/invertebrate_traces/tfimages/teredolites.html

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, Foozil said:

Not necessarily, the shell lining could have been dissolved away. You can see a small gap in between the teredo and the wood, perhaps thats where the shell lining would have been?

59ec2202abc61_ScreenShot2017-10-22at3_43_24pm.png.909af846bf64b80fb4bb163b6896ed7f.png

you can actually wiggle that one around. I'm not sure if it's falling out or if that excess space is from deteriorated material.  I'm worried it's just going

to fall out one of these days 

image.jpeg.45eae6e8f0a88f1f689ef669d6e1544b.jpg.1bbe0336cdae0fe803e5aae80533360b.jpgimage.jpeg.617cfab54c63167aa6e92240735ed277.jpg.0f778f8d9521679ce1edeff74dd9d969.jpg0038_foldrajz_palaeontologyda.jpg.cb165d8b84f9b0c8fcc2de27f214d9dd.jpg

comparative image from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived