megladon, finally!

Peace river rat

29 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

Just never found one, I have dug, lots of hours. Never seen others find one, either.

Hey, I throw lots of stuff, back! How big can these cow shark, teeth get?

I've never heard of a cow shark tooth over 3 inches long. I'd like to revise my previous statement, according to the great and wise Wikipedia cow sharks have been around since the late Jurassic with one possible Permian occurrence. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not quite sure what the maximum size of a cow shark tooth would be but most that I've seen have been in the one to maybe close to two inch range. Your tooth is about the size I've tended to see from other locations--they are insanely rare in the Peace River. I think @jcbshark might have found one (or maybe two) but Jeff spends a lot of time fossil hunting. It is still very high on my bucket list.

Sweet find--congrats!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, digit said:

Not quite sure what the maximum size of a cow shark tooth would be but most that I've seen have been in the one to maybe close to two inch range. Your tooth is about the size I've tended to see from other locations--they are insanely rare in the Peace River. I think @jcbshark might have found one (or maybe two) but Jeff spends a lot of time fossil hunting. It is still very high on my bucket list.

Sweet find--congrats!

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, for a small fossil, I was very excited. They must be rare, I dig a lot, I mean a lot. My circumstances afford me much time to do so. Not only is this the first one I found, but I have never seen anybody else find one.

I am going to make one of those thick picture frames, to display some of my best finds, it will make a good addition  along with another find from today, a nearly round gar scale.

Jcbshark! If you come to Arcadia this year, would love to meet up!

8 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Thanks, for a small fossil, I was very excited. They must be rare, I dig a lot, I mean a lot. My circumstances afford me much time to do so. Not only is this the first one I found, but I have never seen anybody else find one.

I am going to make one of those thick picture frames, to display some of my best finds, it will make a good addition  along with another find from today, a nearly round gar scale.

Jcbshark! If you come to Arcadia this year, would love to meet up!

I hunt out that way pretty regular in season and am planning to put together a group trip sometime this spring:) it’s a lot of fun meeting the folks that make this place up. Congrats on the cow shark, they are very rare here. I’ve found 3 over the years. There’s also a member ( bierk) who has found quite a few cow sharks in his hunting area but it’s central Fl

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I hunt out that way pretty regular in season and am planning to put together a group trip sometime this spring:) it’s a lot of fun meeting the folks that make this place up. Congrats on the cow shark, they are very rare here. I’ve found 3 over the years. There’s also a member ( bierk) who has found quite a few cow sharks in his hunting area but it’s central Fl

Keep me posted! Love to join up!

29 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

Keep me posted! Love to join up!

Will do

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I found 2 broken cow shark teeth in Joshua, and I saw a child find one at the boat ramp in Arcadia a couple years ago.  They are around, but indeed uncommon.  Enjoy your area 51 spot River Rat!  it won't be there forever! 

"You are going to need a bigger basket"

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

8 hours ago, megaholic said:

I found 2 broken cow shark teeth in Joshua, and I saw a child find one at the boat ramp in Arcadia a couple years ago.  They are around, but indeed uncommon.  Enjoy your area 51 spot River Rat!  it won't be there forever! 

"You are going to need a bigger basket"

LOL, area 51 is not a super secret, you could throw a stone 4 times from the boat ramp. I was just the first to leave foot prints and find great surface finds, after the super high, water!

A short day's finds, plus my Ka-bar, skinning knife. A nice Holmesina, scute and a broken, meg.

Forgot my white cloth, hence the news paper!

P1010120.JPG

Nice selection of shark teeth and some small frags of mammoth and mastodon teeth as well. Lots of "Indian beads" to be found in this area of the Peace. I don't find those as much higher up on the river. Also, Holmesina osteoderms always raise a smile when they turn up in the sifting screen. Not quite a trip-maker but always fun to collect.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, digit said:

Nice selection of shark teeth and some small frags of mammoth and mastodon teeth as well. Lots of "Indian beads" to be found in this area of the Peace. I don't find those as much higher up on the river. Also, Holmesina osteoderms always raise a smile when they turn up in the sifting screen. Not quite a trip-maker but always fun to collect.

Cheers.

-Ken

That one "indian bead, is the longest I have ever found. Love the glyptodonts and the holmesina!