megladon, finally!

Peace river rat

5 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

The meg may be the star of this thread, but the crocodilian tooth (unsure if gator without clearer photos) has the full audience of one ;)

Definitely gator, has a seem like a mold casting. I have about 30 in my collection, it is the biggest!

3 hours ago, abctriplets said:

Nice! I thought the river would still be to high from the storms to get good stuff.

It is, this is area 51! Seriously, ask Darktooth, if you were here, I would host you. This is a freak occurrence from a nearly historic river height from the hurricane.

The grass will soon grow over it and entomb them.

@Peace river rat Hi Robert! Congratulations on your first complete Meg!  They say persistence pays off. Also I really like the gator tooth. It is good to see that you are still getting out there. I have not been fossilhunting  for awhile now. This time of year its all about fishing. ( When there is free time.) I noticed that you haven't been on the forum for awhile. I hope all is well.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

@Peace river rat Hi Robert! Congratulations on your first complete Meg!  They say persistence pays off. Also I really like the gator tooth. It is good to see that you are still getting out there. I have not been fossilhunting  for awhile now. This time of year its all about fishing. ( When there is free time.) I noticed that you haven't been on the forum for awhile. I hope all is well.

@Darktooth   Wife had major surgery two months ago and had two, post surgical infections, including a brain infection. Had a stroke last week, cant win for losing.

When she was readmitted, I decided to poke around a flood plain to get out of the house and quit worrying, I had the best day ever, 12 glyptodonts and 3 full horse teeth, lots of small shark teeth, the big vert and quite a few other things. About 1200 yards from where we dug, laying right on top!

About 200 yards from the river. If we don't get serious rain, the river should be ready in a month. Thanks to hurricane Irma, the river was much higher than it has ever been in my 37 years, should be a great year. Do your best to be here. Good to hear from you!

Nice score! So, you found these in the flood area after the water receded?

What did the river itself look like right now? I checked earlier today and the gauge height was about 9.5 feet and the discharge flow was about 900. I find it hard to paddle against the current if the flow is over about 275 or 300. 

I can't wait to get out there....  :)

Sorry to hear about your wife I hope she makes a quick recovery. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

17 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

Nice score! So, you found these in the flood area after the water receded?

What did the river itself look like right now? I checked earlier today and the gauge height was about 9.5 feet and the discharge flow was about 900. I find it hard to paddle against the current if the flow is over about 275 or 300. 

I can't wait to get out there....  :)

Still to high for my liking, I don't get in water above my knees. I don't know how to make heads or tails of those charts, I just hop on my bike and see for myself ten minutes later.

Found right on the surface. I don't think that is at all normal, I have the hurricane to thank for it.

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Sorry to hear about your wife I hope she makes a quick recovery. 

Me too, thanks.

43 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Peace river rat sweet find brother!

Thanks, FH every day should be so productive!

I want a time machine to go back to 1900, would need a wheelbarrow to tote em out. I am told that back in the 40's, megs were so common you would be lucky to get 50 cent from a snowbird!

40 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

Thanks, FH every day should be so productive!

I want a time machine to go back to 1900, would need a wheelbarrow to tote em out. I am told that back in the 40's, megs were so common you would be lucky to get 50 cent from a snowbird!

Oh yeah I believe it. There was a time when they were very common along with other neat teeth.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

18 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Last 4 days, I think the piece in my hand is tortoise shell?

WIN_20171026_11_07_29_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171026_11_08_19_Pro.jpg

Wow! Nice haul! I do believe better pics and more views would help ID your unknown specimen, though ;):)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

32 minutes ago, ynot said:

Could it be a section of dugong rib?

No, certainly not.

WIN_20171027_09_55_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171027_09_55_13_Pro.jpg

1 hour ago, Jesuslover340 said:

Wow! Nice haul! I do believe better pics and more views would help ID your unknown specimen, though ;):)

Only have my crappy laptop camera to work with.:(

28 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

No, certainly not.

Yeah, not a rib for sure.

Could it be another bone from a dugong? It just seems dense for turtle to Me.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Yeah, not a rib for sure.

Could it be another bone from a dugong? It just seems dense for turtle to Me.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it is dense at the outside curved edge and starts opening up to very porous marrow. Gotta get a decent camera. Not certain what is, but it was massive.

On 10/22/2017 at 12:42 AM, Peace river rat said:

I yelled like it was a 7 incher, it has been a long time coming.

That's what makes completing various goals (leveling-up for you video game fans) so much fun when hunting on the Peace River. Welcome to the penthouse level of the meg club from the fraglodon club (though you'll never stop finding broken megs in the Peace). From the ratio of the crown size to the root, I'm guessing you likely have a posterior meg--which I think are as cool as the larger anterior (front) teeth.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:07 PM, Trevor said:

Awesome beard

+1 on the hirsute face. I shave when I feel the need and decided to grow out the beard for a while to see just how gray it would be (answer: pretty darned gray :o). Decided to shave it off a couple days ago as it was getting itchy and I found it was too easy to store snacks in it after a meal. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

On 10/26/2017 at 12:34 PM, Peace river rat said:

Last 4 days, I think the piece in my hand is tortoise shell?

Yup. Looks like a Hesperotestudo tortoise shell to me from what I can see in the photos. I've got a couple of nice size chunks of those from the Peace.

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

That's what makes completing various goals (leveling-up for you video game fans) so much fun when hunting on the Peace River. Welcome to the penthouse level of the meg club from the fraglodon club (though you'll never stop finding broken megs in the Peace). From the ratio of the crown size to the root, I'm guessing you likely have a posterior meg--which I think are as cool as the larger anterior (front) teeth.

+1 on the hirsute face. I shave when I feel the need and decided to grow out the beard for a while to see just how gray it would be (answer: pretty darned gray :o). Decided to shave it off a couple days ago as it was getting itchy and I found it was too easy to store snacks in it after a meal. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Well, it was not a giant, but i'm happy with it! Beards and long hair have a tactical use in Fl, keeps the sun off tender bits and makes the mosquitoes work for a meal :)

I found the beard useful for facial protection up in Churchill, Canada while looking for Polar Bears (and for blending in with the geologists when I attended the Geological Society of America--though I should have worn my plaid shirt). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Out again, today

One spoil pile!

P1010027.JPG

Just now, Peace river rat said:

Out again, today

One spoil pile!

P1010027.JPG

P1010028.JPG

11 hours ago, ynot said:

So what did You find? (Besides the spoil pile).

The usual Peace stuff, today, a good horse molar, upper(best find)  And a park bench!

Bobcat and deer and coon tracks.

P1010047.JPG

P1010046.JPG