megladon, finally!

Peace river rat

Cool stuff, that's a good-sized molar and it looks like the shark teeth are in pretty good shape. 

Those tracks are a lot smaller than I would have expected from a bobcat. Is there any way they're just regular cat tracks, maybe a feral one? 

8 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

Cool stuff, that's a good-sized molar and it looks like the shark teeth are in pretty good shape. 

Those tracks are a lot smaller than I would have expected from a bobcat. Is there any way they're just regular cat tracks, maybe a feral one? 

Maybe, but I was sitting quietly one afternoon, I look up and here is a bob cat not 40 ft away, we just look at each other and he trots on his way. He was not much bigger than a house cat, but certainly, a bob cat.

More tracks, a bit bigger cat track and I think a big hog track

P1010052.JPG

P1010053.JPG

11 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Maybe, but I was sitting quietly one afternoon, I look up and here is a bob cat not 40 ft away, we just look at each other and he trots on his way. He was not much bigger than a house cat, but certainly, a bob cat.

Todays finds and coon tracks

P1010054.JPG

P1010055.JPG

Today's finds, possible sloth tooth and nice deer antler and a good garfish scale, top finds.

P1010055 (1).JPG

P1010055 (1).JPG

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Man You are kicking it over there. Congratulations on the sloth.

I have the time to do it, Irma delivered a bounty, I will get while the getting is good! There is a 6 ft gator that shares this hole, he hangs out about 35 yards away, I like to think we have a deal, I wont go in your corner and bother you, don't grab me over here in waste deep water.

As long as he was visible, no problem, but when he submerges, get a bit nervous. Keep a big fixed blade belt knife handy! We have been getting along and respecting each others boundries, for 2 weeks.

14 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

There is a 6 ft gator that shares this hole,

I saw a news blip where a 6 year old girl was grabbed by one. She escaped by shoving Her fingers in its nose and eyes.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I saw a news blip where a 6 year old girl was grabbed by one. She escaped by shoving Her fingers in its nose and eyes.

My plan if the knife fails, I have seen no babies, it is not mating season, so far he has kept his distance and we keep a weary eye on each other.

Gators don't tend to be too interested in large prey, they're big lazy things who'd rather grab smallish things they can easily drag down. If it's only as big as you, it's probably not gonna try and eat you. 

But, yeah, fingers in the eyes will make just about anything let go of you. Works on sharks, too, but smacking a shark anywhere should work, they think humans taste bad. In fact, if you have a shark too close to you, smacking it somewhere away from the mouth will probably startle it into darting off, they aren't used to things hitting at them. 

• I found this Informative 2

Today I met a TFF member, he is a deployed National Gaurdsman, that is all I will say, he was passing thru, I noticed him poking around for fossils, I offered a tool and some advice, we both found great mako teeth, I was glad to guide this member of our nations, heroes.

I would mention him, but I did not ask. GOD bless you Sir! Thank you for your Service!

Todays finds

P1010072.JPG

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like some nice finds!  (It is hard to be sure with the background You use in Your picture.)

What do you mean? That is a pack of smokes, should I use a coin?

1 minute ago, Peace river rat said:

I am referring to the newspaper with all that distracting writing on it.

Just saying it would be nice if You could use a monochromatic background.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

I am referring to the newspaper with all that distracting writing on it.

Just saying it would be nice if You could use a monochromatic background.

I see, it is just what is handy to display the days finds on, I guess I will hunt a new cloth!

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

6 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

foreigners don't know the size of coins and the  packs of smokes haven't necessarily the same size all around the world. Nothing will ever be worth the size in centimeters or in inch ! ;)

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Someone's been busy. :)

Can't wait till the river recedes another couple of feet which should make the gravel beds I visit on the Peace accessible. Might be a good year for some prospecting along the river to see what got pushed around where. I've noticed that some of my gravel beds occasionally get covered up with a few feet of sand for years at a time and then reappear years later as the load of sand shifts position during its migration to Charlotte Harbor (the terminus of the Peace River).

Cheers.

-Ken

21 minutes ago, digit said:

Someone's been busy. :)

Can't wait till the river recedes another couple of feet which should make the gravel beds I visit on the Peace accessible. Might be a good year for some prospecting along the river to see what got pushed around where. I've noticed that some of my gravel beds occasionally get covered up with a few feet of sand for years at a time and then reappear years later as the load of sand shifts position during its migration to Charlotte Harbor (the terminus of the Peace River).

Cheers.

-Ken

My exact plan today, just look for easy, surface finds. Probably walk 2 or 3 miles down. I have not walked it since Irma's super high water.

1 hour ago, digit said:

Nice! Can we get a close-up of the cetacean tooth?

Cheers.

-Ken

Check it out in Fossil ID, "whale tooth?"