megladon, finally!

Peace river rat

11 hours ago, digit said:

Nice! Can we get a close-up of the cetacean tooth?

Cheers.

-Ken

Sorry Digit, had not had my coffee, yet.

P1010095.JPG

Todays finds, feel my pain on the Meg! Also, had a black briar vine leave in the basket, looked just like a 3 inch Meg. Nature is so cruel!

P1010101.JPG

P1010099.JPG

Todays finds, the Mako is flawless. Short day, it got dreary and windy. Not cold, but if you are damp, it was.

P1010104.JPG

P1010107.JPG

P1010103.JPG

Nice! Is that a metaxytherium very I spy on the top?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice! Sweet "mako" that I believe we are now (trying to remember to) call "white shark"--old habits die hard.

Looks like you are doing well to get the early treasures of this season.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, digit said:

Nice! Sweet "mako" that I believe we are now (trying to remember to) call "white shark"--old habits die hard.

Cheers.

-Ken

Or could we start calling “White Sharks“ ”Makos”:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! Is that a metaxytherium very I spy on the top?

Top dead center? Not sure, looks like a broken vert.

15 minutes ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

White shark, but not great? I think it's a fine tooth! :) Might even go so far as to call it great!

1 minute ago, Peace river rat said:

Top dead center? Not sure, looks like a broken vert.

Yeah, that’s the one. Dugong vert was just a guess based on the one I have. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 minutes ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

I saw some vehicles parked at the bridge from the Tampa area, one had a Tampa bay fossil club sticker, I tried to await their return to pick their brain, a bit. I bet they are waist deep in the river fighting the current. I am up to waste deep, but no current in area 51!

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, that’s the one. Dugong vert was just a guess based on the one I have. 

A closer look. Unsure, myself. I debated tossing it back in.

P1010108.JPG

P1010109.JPG

Is that this? From that picture it’s looks more like a chunkosaurus.

D2927E7C-EA75-4829-9851-4EB8CAF54278.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Is that this? From that picture it’s looks more like a chunkosaurus.

D2927E7C-EA75-4829-9851-4EB8CAF54278.jpeg

10-4

2 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

10-4

Wow, mother nature’s good at her tricks.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wow, mother nature’s good at her tricks.

You should of seen the black, 3 inch briar vine leaf that showed in my scraper, yesterday, looked just like a meg tooth!:megalodon_broken01:

2 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

You should of seen the black, 3 inch briar vine leaf that showed in my scraper, yesterday, looked just like a meg tooth!:megalodon_broken01:

I know the feeling, when I’m out hunting everything I see starts turning into a megalodon tooth, half the time it’s a leaf or a branch. I haven’t even come out with a fragalodon yet, a lot of leaves though. Maybe I should start a compost:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

I know the feeling, when I’m out hunting everything I see starts turning into a megalodon tooth, half the time it’s a leaf or a branch. I haven’t even come out with a fragalodon yet, a lot of leaves though. Maybe I should start a compost:P

Even held it in the palm of my hand and showed it to my friend, 15ft away, he fell for it, too!:rofl:

11 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Yup. That's Saw Greenbrier (aka Cat-brier aka Cowvine) or Smilax bona-nox to be specific. I see this species along the edges of the Peace River all the time and the curiously shaped leaves have a habit of ending up in the river on shallow sandy stretches where they turn black as they decompose--perfectly mimicking large shark teeth and triggering the search image circuitry in fossil hunter's brains till they learn to ignore his false positive (still gets you some times, though). For those who have never seen this species of vine, here is a herbarium specimen so you can see the resemblance as the leaf changes from green to black.

Cheers.

-Ken

TROY000012985.jpg

11 hours ago, digit said:

Yup. That's Saw Greenbrier (aka Cat-brier aka Cowvine) or Smilax bona-nox to be specific. I see this species along the edges of the Peace River all the time and the curiously shaped leaves have a habit of ending up in the river on shallow sandy stretches where they turn black as they decompose--perfectly mimicking large shark teeth and triggering the search image circuitry in fossil hunter's brains till they learn to ignore his false positive (still gets you some times, though). For those who have never seen this species of vine, here is a herbarium specimen so you can see the resemblance as the leaf changes from green to black.

Cheers.

-Ken

TROY000012985.jpg

Cruel nature!

Todays finds, tiny meg, broken, :( Larger meg, badly broke :( 

The other tooth in my hand, is it cow shark? First one I ever found in the peace, never seen or heard of it, in the peace. Thanks.

P1010117.JPG

P1010118.JPG

That is a cow shark tooth, why wouldn't it be found in peace? They can be found Cretaceous onwards I believe.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Forgot to say, they are relatively uncommon. Also,  very nice finds. I wouldn't put an unhappy face after a meg of any quality!

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds, again.

Are You going to leave anything for others to find?:rofl:

I believe that cow shark teeth are rare from the peace, but they are known.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

52 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

That is a cow shark tooth, why wouldn't it be found in peace? They can be found Cretaceous onwards I believe.

Just never found one, I have dug, lots of hours. Never seen others find one, either.

38 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, again.

Are You going to leave anything for others to find?:rofl:

I believe that cow shark teeth are rare from the peace, but they are known.

Hey, I throw lots of stuff, back! How big can these cow shark, teeth get?

28 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

How big can these cow shark, teeth get?

I do not know.

Maybe @siteseer, @MarcoSr, @sixgill pete or @digit know.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.