Fossil found in lake Champlain in the Adirondacks

Lang

Hi there! I found this piece while walking a beach on lake Champlain in the adirondack Mountains, anyone know what the hell it is from? My first thoughts were a scapula? I don’t have the slightest clue about this stuff, I’ve found lots of cool things while metal detecting, and hunting for arrow heads, but this is perplexing! Maybe it’s nothing cool, or maybe it belonged to champs great great grandpa :) 

Thanks everyone ! 

4330EB43-C903-4645-9429-E7E432F7D15E.jpeg

76E129BB-AE0F-44BA-AF99-F4F711DB658E.jpeg

It's a pelvis.

Pelvis.thumb.jpg.28d72242465acdd6d46187e2512fdb62.jpgPelvis_text.thumb.jpg.fba134f7a1c6e41c59eeabe13df2153d.jpg

excerpt from E. Schmid. 1972. Atlas of Animal Bones. For Prehistorians, Archaeologists and Quaternary Geologists. Elsevier, New York.

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder any clue as to what it came from ? 

@JohnBrewer the link was just a video of turning it in a 360 degree to see the entire piece. Website isn’t letting me upload another 

3 minutes ago, Lang said:

@JohnBrewer the link was just a video of turning it in a 360 degree to see the entire piece. Website isn’t letting me upload another 

Try YouTube if you have an account :)

23 minutes ago, Lang said:

The paper he has shown says equus (horse). I'm not entirely convinced it's a fossil. Hold a flame to it and if it smells like burnt hair, if it doesn't it is a fossil. The only two fossil bearing formations I know of are the Chazy reef (no bones in that) and the Miocene clays from the Champlain sea in which I would not expect to find many horse bones. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok I feel really stupid asking this and I’m 99.9% sure the answer is no, but I would like to go to sleep tonight knowing this is definitely animal and not human correct ? I know ridiculous but I’ve watched way too many horror movies  haha

I'm not familiar with the fauna from your area, but it looks to me that your specimen might be close to bison/bos.

02.jpg.da08d822cafb27a279f9ee8839c1ed5e.jpg01.jpg.d99a81b654b8a990aad8469ede3aea00.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 minutes ago, Lang said:

Ok I feel really stupid asking this and I’m 99.9% sure the answer is no, but I would like to go to sleep tonight knowing this is definitely animal and not human correct ? I know ridiculous but I’ve watched way too many horror movies  haha

I can tell you this is not a human bone with 100% certainty. Human pelvis is very different.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very cool! I’ll have to stop by and chat with one of the local historians in our area. Thanks for all the info!!!

Thanks for the relief that it is animal :) !!!

7 minutes ago, Lang said:

Very cool! I’ll have to stop by and chat with one of the local historians in our area. Thanks for all the info!!!

Thanks for the relief that it is animal :) !!!

Definitely do that, if it is a fossil it's a bit strange. Maybe some other younger deposits are along the sides of the lake. Good Luck!

Happy hunting,

Mason

01.jpg.de6f92d29612dae62fbfb32d169635da.jpg746384ba9fe2ef5f546fbb1bd4f188ba--taurus.jpg.2aa7dfc2ede3bccc83650baccb9f0aa5.jpg

comparative image from here

Thomas Mann

My Library

Maybe it’s just that color from being exposed to the water and elements etc? 

Thanks! I’ll have to check back in that area again!