Epworth, Iowa fossil ID

Carolyn Olson

I apologize that I didn't take a better picture.  I realize that you don't have much to work with but I'm wondering if anyone can help me ID the largest fossil that's visible in this rock.  I didn't put anything in for scale.  The rock is sitting on a paper towel (not the best reference for size). I believe it is surrounded by straight cephalopods.  I was with my cousin when she found this fossil on her private property in Epworth, Iowa.  I'd like to know more about this fossil.  I am a science teacher and I'd like to share this picture with my class and I'd like to know more about it to answer any questions that may arise.   The actual fossil is still in Iowa at my cousin's house.  I may be able to have her take additional pics.

IMG_1473.JPG

I believe you are correct with nautiloid, most likely orthroceroid. The sections are called septa. That is a huge one, most are smaller but some (notably endoceras and Cameroceras which may have been between ten and thirty feet long at biggest!) are very large. These got rare by the end of the Paleozoic. Very very nice find:wub::envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Agreed, it's another Orthocone cephalopod

post-2806-0-96430500-1375996410.jpg

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for the quick replies!  I've been wondering about this fossil since we found it last summer.  I'm glad that I asked here!

2011-07-02b.jpg 

Epworth, IA and Graf IA  are very close to each other. Graf is a location famous for cephalopods that you should visit the next time you are at your cousins. There is in-depth information on line about this site. It is easy to collect many specimens for you or your school . Iowa geologic society has a nice article I could not copy for you but just search "Geology of the Dubuque Area" and the article describing the Graf location, which should be very similar to your cousin's backyard, is within the publication. It will educate the teacher so she is definitely smarter than the class!!

This is a nice piece representing the material coming from this road cut

f14c3b15-283f-4f9b-8b4f-29f54fbb8f31.jpg

Archived