sharko69

just got back from vacation in Galveston with the family. Searched high and low for teeth and found nothing so had to hit the creeks closer to home. Hit a high traffic area of Post Oak Creek and did some crawling hoping to find some scraps and found surprisingly quite a bit. 

Hunted the first day for just a couple of hours and found quite a few P. whipplei, lots of shards and a Native American scraper that was the surprise for the day. On the second day I spent a short hour and a half and found several more P. whipplei a nice complete Cretolamna and two complete S. raphiodon teeth along with the normal shards. I also found a second little scraper just as I was about to leave. That is four scrapers and a point in the last three trips. Not sure why this creek seems to be turning up more artifacts lately but no complaints. We had rain yesterday and the creek has surely flushed up some new things so should be good for someone this week. Thanks for looking.

Day 1:

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

Nice haul!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

On 10/22/2017 at 12:52 PM, JohnBrewer said:

That’s a great haul. I do like the bonus of the scrapers too :)

Thanks. Finding more and more artifacts. Not sure if there are more to find or that my eyes are more focused on them.

On 10/22/2017 at 12:58 PM, CBOB said:

Wow!  You found a lot of great stuff out there!  Congrats!  I would be super happy with that haul!

Always happy to find anything. A good walk on the creek is always good. Thanks!

Very nice finds!!!! Looks like you got into the teeth after all. I am not familiar with what you call scrapers, but am interested in the bone looking items that have a ball on the end of it. Could you explain these for me?

1 hour ago, hemi123 said:

the bone looking items that have a ball on the end of it. Could you explain these for me?

They are Ptychodus whipplei  shark teeth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, hemi123 said:

Very nice finds!!!! Looks like you got into the teeth after all. I am not familiar with what you call scrapers, but am interested in the bone looking items that have a ball on the end of it. Could you explain these for me?

Scraper is a Native American stone tool. 

On 10/26/2017 at 9:14 AM, JarrodB said:

Nice finds and pics buddy. 

Thanks. I am following in your footsteps on the artifacts. I am thinking fossil hunting is a gateway drug to artifact hunting.

Galveston area doesn't produce much as far as teeth, sea shells or artifacts.

You may have to go farther down the gulf, the Corpus Christi Marl produces some pretty nice marine Pleistocene stuff.

From Corpus up through Rockport.

Some areas around Rockport also yields mega fauna material and some pretty nice artifacts.

Post Oak is quite prolific. Most who visit, come out content with what they found.

As many times that I have been there, I have to admit, I have never found an artifact there.

You got some pretty good Whipplei there. Those are a little harder to spot than a typical shark tooth.

Even when pointing them out, some people still had a hard time seeing it, till they had it in their hands.

I see you don't have that problem.

Pretty good haul you bagged.

3 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Galveston area doesn't produce much as far as teeth, sea shells or artifacts.

You may have to go farther down the gulf, the Corpus Christi Marl produces some pretty nice marine Pleistocene stuff.

From Corpus up through Rockport.

Some areas around Rockport also yields mega fauna material and some pretty nice artifacts.

Post Oak is quite prolific. Most who visit, come out content with what they found.

As many times that I have been there, I have to admit, I have never found an artifact there.

You got some pretty good Whipplei there. Those are a little harder to spot than a typical shark tooth.

Even when pointing them out, some people still had a hard time seeing it, till they had it in their hands.

I see you don't have that problem.

Pretty good haul you bagged.

Thank you. Crystal Beach is known for producing some nice teeth though they have evaded me every time I am there. I have seen some nice ones from there but none are in my collection.

Not sure why POC is producing so many artifacts for me lately. But I may be looking a little harder. Still on the lookout for a nice point. Have a few broken ones only.

I love Ptychodus teeth and tend to find at least a half dozen or more every visit. I have collected hundreds of them over the last few years.

11 hours ago, sharko69 said:

Thanks. I am following in your footsteps on the artifacts. I am thinking fossil hunting is a gateway drug to artifact hunting.

I would have to agree it really is. Now it's always hard deciding do I go the spots with more fossils or artifacts. Luckily I"m blessed that some spots have both. POC doesn't have many artifacts compared to others but it's where I found my best Paleo Wilson point.