Jurassic Fall Trip

andreas

Last Saturday I was invited to a collecting trip by a buddy of mine. It took us to the Tyrolian part of the Northern calcareous Alps.

We worked at a condensed layer that contains a big part of the Jurassic, Hettangian stage(marine ammonoid zones of the Hettangian). Several ammonoid zones are given within this layer. It ranges from the upper Hettangian(the yellow/orange colored top of the layer) down to the grey limestone of the panorbis zone.

We were lucky because our gained block from the layer was full of ammonoids. It was kept as it was by my friend. I kept a smaller block which was laterally beside it.

The split pic show two big specimen of Psiloceras naumanni

59ecf9927c911_Psilocerasnaumanni-Kopie.thumb.JPG.4a002e3fba288616e80ba98cff959b6b.JPG59ecf9a2cf376__DSC6433-Kopie.thumb.JPG.31b8e49e8c631d1c38893c1654b69731.JPG

Very scenic area to collect in :wub:

Never have been much of a collector of ammonites due to their scarcity in locales nearby or locations being too long a drive, but if I found ammonites like that nearby, I'd be collecting them more often!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Nice! Ive never heard of Austrian fossils before (or alpine ones!), you learn something everyday!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Glad to see you got out again, Andreas!

Can't wait to see your finds prepped.  :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey, Andreas! Good to see you just made it under the line thanks to the extra warm weather last week. I wouldn't be surprised if the snow has arrived up there by now.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

nice cephalopods  :D

I Always liked early jurassic ammonites

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Wow - those are a couple of big ammonites you've got there - congratulations!

I, too, am excited to see more pictures of what you found...

:popcorn:

Monica

20 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

...., but if I found ammonites like that nearby, I'd be collecting them more often!

So it is. Opportunity makes the thief but lovers too.;)So I'm glad to have access to such locations.

@Whodaman, because of the Alps we do have yery different strata in Austria(Ordovician- Miocän). My special field are upper Triassic ammonoids. Just look at my gallery.

@ Ludwigia, Roger I hope you are fine! by the way, thanks for the "promotion":)

@ Fossildude, thank you Tim, but I am afraid that it will last longer with preparation. Too much projects, but less time to do.

@ Manticocerasman, thanks too, you've showed wonderful Goniatites in the TFF, belated congratulations!

@ Monica, Thank you for your comment! My findings are still in my Rucksack. I haven't found the time to put them out and wash them. Maybe tomorrow I will do this and take some pics.

The last two weeks we had wonderful fall weather. Some impressions from a prospecting trip.

_DSC6431 - Kopie.JPG

_DSC6432_-_Kopie.JPG

37 minutes ago, andreas said:

because of the Alps we do have yery different strata in Austria(Ordovician- Miocän). My special field are upper Triassic ammonoids. Just look at my gallery.

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

If you'd like to learn more, then you should check out andreas' blog

Well, that’s very intresting! I look forward to looking through the blog and gallery which I will soon do!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, andreas said:

@ Ludwigia, Roger I hope you are fine! by the way, thanks for the "promotion":)

Yes, I'm doing fine thanks, but I sure do miss the Alps. Maybe I should come for another visit next year?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

20 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Yes, I'm doing fine thanks, but I sure do miss the Alps. Maybe I should come for another visit next year?

You are always welcome! Just tell me early enough if you will come.

On 23.10.2017 at 11:34 AM, Monica said:

I, too, am excited to see more pictures of what you found...

:popcorn:

Monica

Thats the block I took home. Mostly crosssections of the ammonites are visible. But it is possible to prep them free. The reddish part is upper Hettangian Marmoreum Zone. The grey/greenish part is middle to lower Hettangian with Psiloceras strongolum.

ammonoid cross- sections.JPG

That is a lot of rock - wow!!!  Good luck with prepping out your ammonites - I look forward to seeing the final results...

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Archived