dermal denticle or teeth or pterygoid tooth mosasaur

Sergio41

Hello dear users of the Fossil Forum!
Please help me to identify the fossil.
GEOLOGY: Upper Cretaceous Series, Maastrichtian
ASSEMBLAGE: the Finds in this place are shark teeth: Palaeogaleus cf. faujasi, Plicatoscyllium cf. minutum, Squatirhina, Carcharias gracilis, Pseudocorax affinis, the teeth of mosasaurs, the teeth of bony fish Enchodus, fold Chlamys, Foraminifera Nodosaria sp.
DISCOVERY: the Gravel bed.
Thank you.

PS Finds are not unique, in different places of the region Volgograd city. Layers only Upper Cretaceous Series, Maastrichtian.

1.jpg

I don't see enamel, unless it's worn so it might not be an oral tooth.  A rostral tooth possibility is Peyeria but it's a long shot since there is no ribbing.

download.jpg.27660be3275e67342c8ace699e6a2ddb.jpg

Hi @Sergio41!

As far as I know, Peyeria is sometimes considered a ray dermal denticle, rather than a rostral tooth (Cappetta, 1987; Wueringer et al., 2009). Anyways, both Peyeria and ray denticles have a more or less distinct labial side (as indicated by the arrows), that this specimen is lacking.

I was leaning towards a fish tooth. Has anyone encountered any similar specimens in Cretaceous?

image.png.7af1c7f32ae6f5d90bdb08624fafb3ac.pngimage.png.a05d69b362ab7ebd7219330230a9742a.png

The Tooth Fairy

Thanks for the replies!

I think anything from the offered did not seem to...

Enamel, and on the other samples. But the enamel of aquatic reptiles is not as strong as the sharks. Could fall off...

The teeth of fishes quite a lot in this layer. But they are not at all similar to this instance. (later I'll post a photo of the teeth of the fish)

The holes at the base of my finds may be nutrient canals?

Archived