Mosasaur jaw

Aurelius

Hello. Just another mosasaur jaw thread! 

This one puzzles me a little. Obviously it has the replaced teeth, as usual. But it doesn't look right to me. For starters, all of those straight edges. It looks an awful lot like a composite. Almost like three or four chunks of jaw cobbled together with some random skull bones.

Am I being paranoid, could these be natural breaks? My experience tells me that jaws don't break along these straight lines, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people think. Thanks for your help.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

The bone seems too messy to have been altered I think. But yeah those teeth look very dubious. I'd just ignore this jaw and move on. There are plenty of better ones out there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I echo what LT said.    A number of teeth look like they have been added.   May pay, in the long run,  to save up for a better one.

I fully expect that all of the teeth were added. However, I'm much more interested in the bone than the teeth. Ultimately, I would be extracting it, reconstructing it, and mounting it. You may be right that I'd be better off saving up.

These do not look like natural breaks to me.

I presume this "whole" jaw is being sold for a higher price than 3x partial jaws?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Given that none of the crowns are original, I'd say that yes, it is more expensive than three partial jaws would be.

There is a very straight break near the top. Other than that the scattering of smaller fragments on the lower jaw seem fairly real

On 22.10.2017 at 11:37 PM, LordTrilobite said:

The bone seems too messy to have been altered I think. But yeah those teeth look very dubious. I'd just ignore this jaw and move on. There are plenty of better ones out there.

This is probably a stupid question:
Where can you buy large mosasaur jaws that are still in the field jacket? I can see a lot of theeths and small halisaurus jaw fragments on auction websites. However, I very rarely see a large piece like this. Do you buy them at fossils shows or get them directly from Morocco?

Not a stupid question at all. I sadly don't have infinite funds, so I generally buy the smaller stuff. Personally I don't look much at if something has a jacket. I mainly look at the bone and teeth to see if they are real and haven't been tampered with. I buy most of my stuff from the internet and fossil shows in the Netherlands.

I'm not sure if he also sells really large pieces. But I've bought several fossils from @Fitch1979 before. Really nice guy and he's got really great stuff. Everything I've seen him sell is completely real. So I can definitely recommend him if you're looking for good Mosasaur material.

Lots of jacketed mosasaur jaws to select from at the Tucson fossil show but that won't help you.   Your best bet may be the Munich show but not sure if Moroccan dealers set up at this venue.  It goes without saying you have to carefully inspect all jacketed items.

If you wish my friend @Flx, I can pass in private to you a contact I have in Spain. The Mosasaur material of this seller is genuine and his prices are excellent! Below, I leave as an example a jaw that is deposited in my Particular Collection, of Mosasaur Prognathodon sp, which I bought from him:

02.PNG

For you to have a notion of what I'm talking about, for this jaw of  mosasaur, I only paid US $110,00! :yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I bought some moso jaws at the Quartzite show a while back.  A long ways from Aurelius.  The ones in jackets all seem to be with teeth added.  I learned that from you guys.  A tuff way to learn, but better to learn than be ignorant.  This one, I think is real? 

RB

DSCN0264.JPG

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I bought some moso jaws at the Quartzite show a while back.  A long ways from Aurelius.  The ones in jackets all seem to be with teeth added.  I learned that from you guys.  A tuff way to learn, but better to learn than be ignorant.  This one, I think is real? 

RB

DSCN0264.JPG

More detailed photo would be needed to know if those teeth are composited in. But from this photo there are no red flags and the bone itself is real.

@LordTrilobite,   Its been a long time since Ive looked at it and dont even know where it is at the moment, but someday i will run into all the jaws I have and try to sell them all.  And of course saying weather or not they are real or composited.  i will take some better photos when I do that.  Could be a year or so or more.  Im never in a hurry to do anything anymore.

RB

Your jaw shows very much ok (even the straight bone breaks), but it would take sharper pictures of the matrix (quite hard to distinguish worked matrix) to be sure about that. Most of the teeth though are added to your jaw.

Below two examples of jaws that are 100% genuine and real, nothing added. One in field-jacket, the other is finished for display.

59ff6fbca4314_t006.thumb.jpg.4390371be4bf1672173fa6cc5fbdea25.jpg

kaak.thumb.jpg.8c37ffa4cfead5c4f1abf1fb851537db.jpg

• I found this Informative 3