Roadside Geology Of Texas Book

jax

Does anyone have this book? by Darwin Spearing. LINK

I just wanted to know if it was pretty detailed or not. I found it for under$6, so its not a big buy.

Thanks

Justin

I just wanted to know if it was pretty detailed or not. I found it for under$6, so its not a big buy.

Thanks

Justin

Hey Jax I have a copy not real detailed but good for the layman. For under 10 bucks I would get it.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Get it at your local Half Price Books store. It's not a fossil book but has lots of picture of exposures and maps.

Oh, it mistakenly says the 820 quarry is Kiamichi formation, actually it's Duck Creek.

yeth, i haff it. i like it. it speaks to me of geological adventure. and it tells me when i'm driving along where to be careful because i'll probably be running up upon dan woehr, busily puttin' up all those miniature historical markers at every roadcut that say, "at this location, dan woehr was also". i see them little signs all over the place, 'cept for the city roadcuts that are them angled concrete banks, but even some of them got little rock hammer pecks on 'em around the san antonio area...

i was gonna by "waterwayside geology of texas", but then i learned that i can't even run a big flat-bottom boat on any of the rivers cuz johnj would buzz by me in his canoe and swamp me with his bow wake.

thinkin' about moving to oklahoma, but my wife already likes to gamble too much. then again, maybe there she wouldn't be always usin' my echinoids as poker chips. it is funny though, when she tries to raise somebody a couple coenholectypus and can't pronounce it.

oh, snarge. got a bit off-topic. yeah, i like the book.

In my experience each book in the Roadside Geology of XXXXXXX series is a POS written by someone not that into fossils and chock full o sites that played out 40 years ago. Yes I have the book, but it hasn't been cracked since I first started collecting. The 5 bucks to buy it is not what you should worry about. Its all the gas money you'd waste doing wild goose chases all over the state for nothing......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

oh. well, see i wasn't using the book to find fossils. i was just using it to read about the geology of the area i'm passing through or coming up on. plus, um, i think, um...

i think i was also maybe using it to sit on so i could be higher in the seat and see the formations better as i was driving and, and...

<sigh>

Thanks for the info, im just looking for a guide to help me find some spots while im on the road for work. My normal spots to drive to are longview, tyler, Nacogdoches, and Abilene. I hit a spot south of tyler yesterday that was supose to produce sharks teeth and other marine fossils, but all i found was iron deposits. And i slid 20ft down the hill....

Hey Lance, remind me one last time where i can buy those formation maps that you showed me a long time ago.

In my experience each book in the Roadside Geology of XXXXXXX series is a POS written by someone not that into fossils and chock full o sites that played out 40 years ago. Yes I have the book, but it hasn't been cracked since I first started collecting. The 5 bucks to buy it is not what you should worry about. Its all the gas money you'd waste doing wild goose chases all over the state for nothing......

Agree with you Dan on this one! Makes nice kindling though!!!!!!!

Thanks

Justin

Next time I see you JAX I'll give you my copy.Then you can stuff it under your tire so that your car won't roll down the hill when you are changing that flat tire ;)

Thanks for the info, im just looking for a guide to help me find some spots while im on the road for work. My normal spots to drive to are longview, tyler, Nacogdoches, and Abilene. I hit a spot south of tyler yesterday that was supose to produce sharks teeth and other marine fossils, but all i found was iron deposits. And i slid 20ft down the hill....

Hey Lance, remind me one last time where i can buy those formation maps that you showed me a long time ago.

Well Jax, I can point you to a couple of fossil spots near Nacogdoches. You can stop at my sister's restaurant. :)

Pm me if you are interested.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a POS, but I wouldn't buy it if you are looking for collecting sites. It's not bad when you are traveling and just want a better idea what your looking at without having to do a full research project. Going in and out of Big Bend a year ago it was a good primer. I followed up with more specific books and maps but it gave me an overview. I've had it for many years and it has only once led me to fossils. That was halfway between Coleman and Abilene for a small Permian(?) exposure. Every other spot has been a bust.

I collect geo and paleo books, maps, papers, etc. and sometimes one will be 95% useless but buried inside will be the 5% that explained something or helped me ID an odd fossil. I've amassed a pretty good library filled with rather esoteric material but all of it specific to the places I collect. Back when I lived in the NE I hunted books in the winter. I have a hand full of Hall's NY Paleo books with the original lithographic plates and you couldn't find a better source for IDs. I also have stacks of reprints and small bulletins, maps and cross sections.

Depending on the state you live in there can be some awesome maps and literature available from that state's Geo Survey for little money. Texas has superb maps and books because of all the oil money, NY & NJ had good stuff because of all the early paleo work and large universities, PA and the coal industry, OH and the universities, etc.

Guest solius symbiosus

While, I haven't read this particular series, I've yet to come across a field guide that didn't contain valuable information. Trip guides are just that, a resource to help one better understand the geology of the area, but they usually don't contain much specific information in regards to paleontology.

Fossils are one of the tools that one uses to better understand the past.

Knowledge of structure, stratigraphy, lithology, and paleo-ecology is essential to understanding the significance of any fossil... otherwise, collecting fossils is no different than collecting beenie babies, or stamps.