Any Idea What These Are?

Fossilhunter218

My 8 year old son is turning into quite the dinosaur enthusiast and has begun to collect fossils.  We are slowly learning the risks and joys of collecting.  We found these three over the weekend.  Any ideas what they may be?  I was told the sandy orange bone may or may not be a dinosaur bone and the darker ones are from the Ice Age but they were not sure from which Ice Age animal.

IMG_20171021_121546.thumb.jpg.5c71ec302d337f5de2db9a38105a70e0.jpgIMG_20171021_121525.thumb.jpg.12742ef352a39e6a36741c33a75bada0.jpgIMG_20171021_121434.thumb.jpg.c1a3bcfbf1c0d903a0086c3ba9b4aa8c.jpgIMG_20171021_121422.jpg.ef7679f5d847d3deee7a8a2c6284a9f2.jpg

Hello!  Identification will require location  (nearest town) and a ruler for scale.  If it is ice age as your tag indicates, it is not dinosaur but likely mammal.

Welcome to the forum.

Your middle bone may be dinosaurian.  A more complete picture of the bone with more angles would help as well as what Peat Burns asked for is locality.   Be as specific as possible.

Where is AB?  Alberta? Ali Baba? A Beach?  Please indicate locations so the rest of the world knows what we are talking about.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The sediment on the second bone looks like it could be from Kem Kem beds in Morocco. But as Troodon said, better photos are needed to make a good identification as well as location information to determine the age.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you for the feedback.  I will try and take photos tonight and post later this week.

These pieces were bought in Alberta; I'm 99.9% certain they did not come this province.  We have some really tough laws on digging and collecting.

The seller did not know anything about the - what I'm going to call - Ice Age pieces.  It is a true mystery.

The orange one was labelled as a dinosaur bone from Morocco - Lord Trilobite you might be right; it may be from the Kem Kem beds.

As I mentioned, I will have to take time tonight or tomorrow night to take, and post, better photos with a ruler this time.  I appreciate your insights!!  You have given me homework :)

Maybe the third specimen is a worn proximal end of a humerus. (Equus?)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I apologize for the delay.  I was finally able to retake the photos and prepare them for posting.  I labelled each (Fig.1, 2, 3) with the location (two are unknown) and the length and width dimensions.

I thank you all in advance.

IMG_20171029_202030.jpg

IMG_20171029_201719.jpg

IMG_20171029_202113.jpg

IMG_20171029_201313.jpg

IMG_20171029_201516_01.jpg

IMG_20171029_201816.jpg

Yeah, if the seller said that orange bone came from Morocco there is little doubt that it's from the Kem Kem beds. The orange iron rich conglomerates and other gunk on it is pretty typical. So that's at least part of the mystery solved. Dinosaur is very much a possibility for that one. In the Kem Kem beds plenty of dinosaur remains are found all over. That location has sediments from the beginning of the Late Cretaceous, the Cenomanian. Some animals that are found there include the theropods Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Deltadromeus. There is also a Sauropod called Rebbachisaurus. There are a few Pterosaurs like Alanqa and Siroccopteryx. Then there are also loads of crocs, turtles and fish the size of cars.

Your orange bone looks like it's part of a rib. Ribs are very difficult to identify even if they are complete. But, looking at the bone structure might give some clues. Crocs have much denser bones than most dinosaurs. And theropod dinosaurs have hollow bones. I can't really tell from your photos. But if the rib is hollow, there's a good chance it's from a theropod.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived