What is name of the trace fossil?

Renata

Hellow Guys, 

I have the doubt, the trace fossil of the picture is a rhizocorallium, diplocraterion or taenidium?

Or none of those three?

IMG_1332.jpg

What is the orientation of the fossil?

Does this move up or down through layers, or is this on the surface of a bedding plane?

Any idea how old the formation is ?

Where was this found?

EDIT: moved post to the Fossil ID forum. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Orientation to the rock layers would be very helpful. However, i think it's safe to rule out diplocraterion as that fossil is described as follows: "Diplocraterion is an ichnogenus describing vertical U-shaped burrows having a spreite (weblike construction) between the two limbs of the U." These do not appear to be vertical. 

Taenidium doesn't quite fit the bill either, as it is described as being oblique to the plane and not criss-crossing, which these fossils appear to violate. 

Rhizocorallium is a bit more complicated, but i think it is the closest ID. It is described as: "The ichnogenus Rhizocorallium Zenker 1836 includes three ichnospecies: Rhizocorallium jenense Zenker 1836 representing straight, short U-shaped spreiten-burrows commonly oblique to bedding plane, and only rarely horizontal, Rhizocorallium irregulare Mayer 1954 representing long, sinuous, bifurcating or planispiral U-shaped spreiten-burrows, mainly horizontal, and Rhizocorallium uliarense Firtion 1958 representing trochospiral U-shaped spreiten-burrows (definitions after Fürsich 1974)." Your fossil appears to be horizontal to the plane. On top of this, there does appear to be minor bifurcation with the traces closest to the ruler. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplocraterion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizocorallium

http://ichnology.ku.edu/invertebrate_traces/tfimages/taenidium.html

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you everyone. This is a Devonian outcrop.

I found this trace fossil at the Paraná Basin (Brazil).

The outcrop is the vertical wall, so the trace fossil is vertical.

So, I understood, that this trace fossil is a Beaconites?

That was my suggestion. I'm leaning toward that. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 9 months later...