NJ Cretaceous stream vert id

brad hinkelman

They are both batoid (ray) vertebrae.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Could be from a ray but Squatina also have very similar centra.

thank you

6 hours ago, Carl said:

The only safe thing to say is that that are chondrichthyan vertebrae because they are so heavily weathered.

thanks

You can definitely narrow them down to ray verts, they are not worn enough so as to be unidentifiable. The side structure that is exposed due to weathering (the bands visible on the side of the left vertebra in the second picture) is unique to ray verts; shark vertebrae will not have those bands when worn. Angel shark verts usually have cartilage attached, but even if the cartilage is missing, an Angel shark vert wouldn't have the little dimples present on the faces of these verts.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

The side structure that is exposed due to weathering (the bands visible on the side of the left vertebra in the second picture) is unique to ray verts

Squatina also have this banding.

Angel shark verts usually have cartilage attached

Sometimes, but batoid centra also have cartilage attached. Here are some modern Raja centra showing this. These are from a clearnose skate I caught in NC.

59f1bb14e310f_clearnoseskate.jpg.30eb292f6998f0f8520da7af47f7b3ff.jpgrajaverts.jpg.1aea213d31146eba959aacbe87fe6c02.jpg

but even if the cartilage is missing, an Angel shark vert wouldn't have the little dimples present on the faces of these verts

I think the pits are a preservational thing. I've never seen modern batoid centra with these pits.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Squatina also have this banding.

Sometimes, but batoid centra also have cartilage attached. Here are some modern Raja centra showing this. These are from a clearnose skate I caught in NC.

59f1bb14e310f_clearnoseskate.jpg.30eb292f6998f0f8520da7af47f7b3ff.jpgrajaverts.jpg.1aea213d31146eba959aacbe87fe6c02.jpg

I think the pits are a preservational thing. I've never seen modern batoid centra with these pits.

Interesting info. But do you know if there's a way to differentiate between ray and angel shark vertebra? There's still probably a better chance of these being ray verts since they are much more common in the area.