Tentaculites skin pattern?

dalmayshun

I have recently been looking over rock hash plates from Newberry, Mich. I think the formation is Collingswood, at any rate, there are cone shaped fossils all over many of the plates I brought home, ranging from a max of 4 " to as small as 1/4 inch. I previously asked about these, and most respondants seem to suggest some kind of Tentaculites. I can see the crushed shell in most with the tell tail impression down the center indication they were once round, but I have still been tryinig to figure out if they really are tentaculites, or perhaps orthocone larva...At any rate, my point for today is, one of the plates seem to have captured the skin impression clearly. I thought at first perhaps the 4" piece I was looking at was simply covered in some kind of bryazoan, but when I looked at the others on the same plate, they all contained the pattern, and it was way too perfect , fitting the fossil's form perfectly...it looks sort of like snake skin. I would appreciate any comments... thanks. I think the forum is great, it has moved me from a very beginner who saw stones I was sure were fossils, to a beginner who can occasionally tell the difference. LOL> 

web-3.jpg

web-2.jpg

Perhaps an encrusting bryozoan on a Bactrites type cephalopod? 

One of my Bactrites

gallery_2806_718_49211.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me