Joon

Hello again!!B)  I visited the southern part of Humber river in Toronto, ON on Oct.15.Sun.

Actually, I went there on the way to go to see new homestay(Eventually, I moved elsewhere because of the distance. My ex-landlady urged me to move out 'cause she wanted to give my room to her daughter. The result is better 'cause of food quality. Last one was really terrible:angry:).

Anyway, the total distance was about 58.6km for round trip(Actually, the distance was about 32km from my last homestay to Humber river. But I took the subway after got to the downtown when I came back to ex-homestay). I went southmost part of Humber river and headed along the upper stream.

But, I couldn't find exposed formation, rather I saw just rocks, which is placed on sandbanks.

20171015_123714.thumb.jpg.938e671573f21cd798edede2d7fe380d.jpg

I found ripple marks on the way heading upper stream.

After that, I found many brachiopods, gastropods, crinoids' stem, bryozoa, and ichnofossils. But I wanted to find trilobites. That's why I thought that 'this time is wasted and felt really disappoint (and tiredness):(

So, I was almost giving up to find fossils and just follwed upper stream with taking a closer look on sandbanks.

Then, I suddenly saw something on downward inclination! There were some exposed rocks(I'm not sure which formation is)! I went down right away and looked for some fossils.

There were also brachiopods, gastropods, crinoids' stem, bryozoa, and ichnofossils. But this time, I found some cephalopods, too! (Though I couldn't make to find even one parts of trilobite)

I'm not sure these species are Endoceras sp. or some other thing. Please let me know if you know the name of this specimen.

20171015_134541.thumb.jpg.6fdbf74d12a31ef008b9194c6f89a961.jpg

These two attached on big rocks that I couldn't dettach it.

20171015_212443.thumb.jpg.b0f9ae375a2d2b7f28b390603ad382a0.jpg

The part of shell(phraginocone).

20171015_212448.thumb.jpg.d85afb99e630e0a5719282d35f4ed860.jpg

The rest part of shell.

20171015_212632.thumb.jpg.b1b2ae71670dae0fe1e2b8b35185c695.jpg

The whole body image. I hit it in order to make big rock into small pieces and eventually I cracked it.. I yelled and felt really sad.  

20171015_213112.thumb.jpg.87eff6a1f7306fd8531ccefda5a3fe8f.jpg

This is another cephalopod. 

Although I couldn't find any trilobites at this hunting, I found some nice cephalopods and one graptolite(I forgot to take picture. But it's small):)

I'm planning to go to Mimico creek before I leave for Toronto. Maybe I'll go there after Novemver 12th.
    (After changing homestay, my Toronto life is getting way better than before! Though my friends are still stay in old place..)

I'll post TWO more fossil hunting trip on Brechin and Bowmanville quarry with Crinus(Joe) on last weekends(He took me there! Thank you! :dinothumb:)

Hi @HoJoon!

I believe that the exposed formation along all of the rivers here in the Toronto area are Georgian Bay Formation from the Upper Ordovician.  Trilobites have eluded me and my daughter as well, but it's likely because we haven't really found a good, productive, exposed area of rock yet - maybe one day...

As for what you did find - good job with the orthoconic nautiloids!  I love finding them, too.  I've been told that the most common small species around here is Treptoceras crebiseptum, so that is likely what you've found.  The huge species Endoceras proteiforme is also around, I believe, but I have yet to find one.  I'd love to see the graptolite that you found - I have yet to find one myself, so I'd love to see yours so I can have a visual on what I should be looking for...

Re: the rock around here - I find that a lot of it is much too hard to break with hammers/chisels - in fact, my right elbow still hurts from when I went out hunting with my hammer back at the end of August, so please be careful.  I've definitely learned my lesson - I'm going to stick to only hammering rocks with cracks showing along the edges from now on!!!

Thanks for sharing your Toronto hunting experiences!  I look forward to reading more of your entries in the future!

Monica

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Hi @HoJoon!

I believe that the exposed formation along all of the rivers here in the Toronto area are Georgian Bay Formation from the Upper Ordovician.  Trilobites have eluded me and my daughter as well, but it's likely because we haven't really found a good, productive, exposed area of rock yet - maybe one day...

As for what you did find - good job with the orthoconic nautiloids!  I love finding them, too.  I've been told that the most common small species around here is Treptoceras crebiseptum, so that is likely what you've found.  The huge species Endoceras proteiforme is also around, I believe, but I have yet to find one.  I'd love to see the graptolite that you found - I have yet to find one myself, so I'd love to see yours so I can have a visual on what I should be looking for...

Re: the rock around here - I find that a lot of it is much too hard to break with hammers/chisels - in fact, my right elbow still hurts from when I went out hunting with my hammer back at the end of August, so please be careful.  I've definitely learned my lesson - I'm going to stick to only hammering rocks with cracks showing along the edges from now on!!!

Thanks for sharing your Toronto hunting experiences!  I look forward to reading more of your entries in the future!

Monica

Hi @Monica !

I think that Treptoceras crebiseptum is more feasible than Endoceras proteiforme.  Thank you so much! :dinothumb:

I found this one from the sandbank. Actually there were more graptolites, but I took only this. Another one had small three graptolites on hand-size-like rocks. 

20171025_075010.thumb.jpg.42b72c907c590f5d1d9df950ca964224.jpg

20171025_074947.thumb.jpg.d43fdd70dd7672bec47208c22e48bbb3.jpg

Though I don't know the name of this specimen either, I think this is a graptolite.

Re: Indeed. The rock around here is hard that it's hard to break. I'm really surprised that your elbow is still hurt. How hard and many times did you hit the rock?:o

Anyway, I also took some fossils from Tommy Tompson Park, which were probably used as construction ingredients, and some of them were soooo hard that I couldn't break them.:(

Thank you for having interest in my report and sharing your experience before, too!:)

You and @JUAN EMMANUEL's posts were very helpful!

HoJoon

44 minutes ago, HoJoon said:

Hi @Monica !

I think that Treptoceras crebiseptum is more feasible than Endoceras proteiforme.  Thank you so much! :dinothumb:

I found this one from the sandbank. Actually there were more graptolites, but I took only this. Another one had small three graptolites on hand-size-like rocks. 

20171025_075010.thumb.jpg.42b72c907c590f5d1d9df950ca964224.jpg

20171025_074947.thumb.jpg.d43fdd70dd7672bec47208c22e48bbb3.jpg

Though I don't know the name of this specimen either, I think this is a graptolite.

Re: Indeed. The rock around here is hard that it's hard to break. I'm really surprised that your elbow is still hurt. How hard and many times did you hit the rock?:o

Anyway, I also took some fossils from Tommy Tompson Park, which were probably used as construction ingredients, and some of them were soooo hard that I couldn't break them.:(

Thank you for having interest in my report and sharing your experience before, too!:)

You and @JUAN EMMANUEL's posts were very helpful!

HoJoon

Hi again, HoJoon!

That does indeed look like a graptolite - nice!  I don't have my Hessin book available at the moment (it'll remain in storage at my parents' place until we move in a couple of weeks) but after I grab it from them I'll see if I can help identify it for you...

As for my elbow - I went out to Etobicoke Creek one afternoon by myself, and I was determined to find some good stuff, so I was hammering lots of rocks - if a rock didn't show signs of cracking after a couple of whacks, I would give up, but I tried many rocks so I'm sure I ended up hammering way too many too-hard rocks that day.  Oh well.  I have benefits with my job so I think I'm going to go for physiotherapy...

Have a great day, and good luck on your next hunt!

Monica

19 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hi again, HoJoon!

That does indeed look like a graptolite - nice!  I don't have my Hessin book available at the moment (it'll remain in storage at my parents' place until we move in a couple of weeks) but after I grab it from them I'll see if I can help identify it for you...

As for my elbow - I went out to Etobicoke Creek one afternoon by myself, and I was determined to find some good stuff, so I was hammering lots of rocks - if a rock didn't show signs of cracking after a couple of whacks, I would give up, but I tried many rocks so I'm sure I ended up hammering way too many too-hard rocks that day.  Oh well.  I have benefits with my job so I think I'm going to go for physiotherapy...

Have a great day, and good luck on your next hunt!

Monica

Hi again, Monica! :)

I'll appreciate your help to find the information! I look forward to hearing from you in the near future! :)

As for your elbow, I apologize you 'cause I chuckled a bit  XD

It seems that you hammered a lot at your previous hunt. What kinds of fossils made you hammering a lot? XD

Anyway, it was nice talking with you. Good luck with your work and have a nice day! :)

HoJoon

I was going to suggest HoJoon go to Etobicoke Creek as well.   You can get there easily enough without a car.  I did it by bicycle the summer I spent in Toronto. 

53 minutes ago, jpc said:

I was going to suggest HoJoon go to Etobicoke Creek as well.   You can get there easily enough without a car.  I did it by bicycle the summer I spent in Toronto. 

Hi jpc,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, I'm not sure which site is better for fossil hunt: Mimico creek or Etobicoke creek.

But I'll consider it though Mimico creek is closer than Etobicoke creek.

2 hours ago, HoJoon said:

Hi again, Monica! :)

I'll appreciate your help to find the information! I look forward to hearing from you in the near future! :)

As for your elbow, I apologize you 'cause I chuckled a bit  XD

It seems that you hammered a lot at your previous hunt. What kinds of fossils made you hammering a lot? XD

Anyway, it was nice talking with you. Good luck with your work and have a nice day! :)

HoJoon

No need to apologize - I feel ridiculous even telling people that I injured myself while fossil-hunting in Mississauga!  My husband calls it "fossil elbow" :P

As for what I was looking for - anything that I could get!  But what I do tend to find while splitting rocks around here are brachiopods (sometimes) and bivalves (most of the time).  The added benefit of finding them inside of the rock is that they are usually in pretty good condition, but I'll have to get my elbow looked into before I try splitting any more rocks... :)

It was nice talking to you, too!  Enjoy your evening!

Monica

2 hours ago, Monica said:

No need to apologize - I feel ridiculous even telling people that I injured myself while fossil-hunting in Mississauga!  My husband calls it "fossil elbow" :P

As for what I was looking for - anything that I could get!  But what I do tend to find while splitting rocks around here are brachiopods (sometimes) and bivalves (most of the time).  The added benefit of finding them inside of the rock is that they are usually in pretty good condition, but I'll have to get my elbow looked into before I try splitting any more rocks... :)

It was nice talking to you, too!  Enjoy your evening!

Monica

The "Fossil elbow" :rofl:

Well.. You know, I hit my fingers with hammer sometimes. I got hurt from fossil hunt, too!:D

Brachiopids, bivalves and crinoid stems are really ubiquitous around here so much so that I didn't even give the eye on them(I know this is rude behavior towards fossils nontheless they are just an inorganism, now):)

Have a nice evening, too!:D

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Thanks for taking Us along with Your trip.

Keep looking and a trilobite will show itself to You, eventually.

Good luck!

I appreciate your encouragement! I hope to find a good one before I leave here! :)

Archived