Dug these out yesterday

Melanye

First time i was ever able to dig out the whole shells. Top and bottom on both.

Very exciting. Sorry for the "non-technical" terms. I can't seem so upload any more pictures. Just this one.

Im new and clueless. Thanks

20171025_080712.jpg

2 hours ago, Melanye said:

First time i was ever able to dig out the whole shells. Top and bottom on both.

Very exciting. Sorry for the "non-technical" terms. I can't seem so upload any more pictures. Just this one.

Im new and clueless. Thanks

Layman's terms are perfectly acceptable.  ;) 

These shells are molluscs that belong to the Bivalvia.

In this instance, the technical terminology  (which, again, is not always necessary.) used would probably be "Both valves". 

If they are attached together still, at the hinge line,  it would be "both valves articulated."  :) 

Hope this helps. 

By the way, Nice fossils! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

And it looks like a pectinid.

And why would that be remarkable?

Because pectinids can swim,in short bursts

bercofimages.jpg

Where about so not the cliff we’re you? I believe these would be chesapectens, there’s a great PDF given to me by @SailingAlongToo

That’s helpful in IDing them, I can’t put it here though, it’s too big a file. I can Email it to you if you’d like, just shoot me a PM if so. 

The second photo I sent the usual chesapectan nefrens, the other I’m not sure, maybe middlesexensis or septanius (haven’t had a chance to read the whole pdf so I don’t know what diagnostic features define them)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

that is a nice Pectin, one of my favorite shells

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

On 10/25/2017 at 9:12 AM, Fossildude19 said:

If they are attached together still, at the hinge line,  it would be "both valves articulated."  :) 

Would it not be simply “valves articulated” when discussing bivalve articulation? Technically speaking. :P

Sorry, I’m in a picking on people mood today and I’ve beat up on @snolly50 and @JohnBrewer a lot recently. They deserve a respite.

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I’m in a picking on people mood today and I’ve beat up on @snolly50 and @JohnBrewer a lot recently. They deserve a respite.

Yeah, but what about Ynot. Does He not deserve a respite also?

Tony

PS It should be "articulated bivalve" or "the articulated valves of a bivalve".:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Yeah, but what about Ynot. Does He not deserve a respite also?

Tony

PS It should be "articulated bivalve" or "the articulated valves of a bivalve".:P

No, I’ve just gotten started on Ynot. :muahaha:

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

No, I’ve just gotten started on Ynot. :muahaha:

Image result for cowardly lion boxing Bring it on! I am ready for You!

I'll fight Ya with one hand behind My back. I'll fight ya with both hands behind My back. With My eyes closed.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 10/28/2017 at 10:05 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Sorry, I’m in a picking on people mood today and I’ve beat up on @snolly50 and @JohnBrewer a lot recently.

Well...that explains it. snolly recently felt like he was being annoyed by some kinda buzzin' gnat. Now it turns out it was that over-growed, skirt-wearin', hot sauce drinkin' Texan all along!

Perhaps he is bone ignorant regarding the mettle of an ole boy from South Carolina. Time to educate.

Whooop! I'm a ring-tailed ripsnorter! I was borned in a cave in the beautiful Blue Ridge and tended by a rabid she bear! Whooop!

At the tender age of two I set out on foot to seek my fortune - down through the Piedmont to the edge of the Congaree Swamp. There I commenced my education. Naw, this ain't no sad story about walkin' miles to school. Truth is, I rode - an alligator. If we were runnin' late, I'd snatch up a Cottonmouth and use it as a buggywhip! Whooop!

Soon the school ladies turned me away, declarin' me a natural born genius, who already knew everything! 

I'm a powder keg ready to explode! A force of Nature! You know it ladies, gather 'round!  I can run so fast, that I meet myself comin' back! I can jump so high, I have to duck my head to keep from makin' more dents in the Moon! Whooop! 

I'm a ringdangdoo! The seventh son of a seventh son and I ain't afoolin'! 

I got the ugliest, meanest dog in the country. He calls me "Sir." When I howl at the Moon, wolves from three states 'round hush up and bow their heads! Whooop!

My wife is so dang pretty the manager from Walmart begged her to shop on line from now on! It seems when she visited the store men were fallin' out, stupified. The staff was havin' to drag them out back to the loadin' dock and stackin' 'em like cord wood until they recovered.

That's me, grimmer than the hind wheels of perdition! Whooop! ready for any scuffle! Carry a gun? Naw, don't see the need. I do keep a few bullets in my pocket in case I want a snack. If I want to bring something down, I just fling a bullet, side-armed.

I'm full-growed! I got feet big enough to hold me up. I got a double row of jaw teeth. My beard is so tough I can't shave. I have to hammer the whiskers in from the outside and bite 'em off to get shut of them! Whooop! 

Whooop! I'm afeelin' right froggy now that I made my introduction. I ought to hop on over to Texas and settle this "pickin' on" for good!

...except....

Well...the snolly family has kind of a sad history with Texas. My Great-Great Uncle visited there in the 1800s. He was just out for a little harmless fun, but those sneaky Texans ganged up on him! Some Hollywood folks made a documentary about that tragic affair. I must admit the movie folks did a great job in hiring an actor who perfectly captured the appearance, demeanor and level of sobriety of a typical snolly family member! I can see myself in the actor's fine portrayal.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@snolly50, so basically you’re saying to get your feelings hurt easily... :rofl:

Nope, when my daughter was an early teen she angrily informed me; "You don't have any feelings!" So after that revelation, I've just embraced that attitude.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

22 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Nope, when my daughter was an early teen she angrily informed me; "You don't have any feelings!" So after that revelation, I've just embraced that attitude.

That’s similar to what I tell my kids. If I had feelings they would be hurt. Since I don’t, you’re grounded. :P We are usually all joking around though.

Archived