Jump to content

Recommended Posts

doushantuo

Nice pieces,Adam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
On 2/8/2018 at 3:27 AM, doushantuo said:

Nice pieces,Adam

 

Thank you! :)

Next I have some cleaned up Elrathia kingii. 1.2 cm long. The first one has a damaged front border to the cephalon and when I foolishly popped it a bit fell off which i have glued back, badly. It also has an upside down Itagnostus head next to it that i have left. 

20180213_214902-1.thumb.jpg.24a9f705dcb568ac04f6ec7db2a40fb9.jpg

20180213_220026-2.thumb.jpg.574fc15fcf520ac332eab4be9cbf8da3.jpg

Next : this one has another cephalon fixed to it's cephalon, which couldn't be removed. Main specimen 1.8 cm long. 

20180213_214902-2.thumb.jpg.4f86226064b6e0d3968889436832cdac.jpg

20180213_215007-1.thumb.jpg.81e7db4d378bb402ee98ac69a0043bdc.jpg

20180213_220331-1.thumb.jpg.a878de89eca6503a0aa20ff9455f9628.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Next, my favourite. This perfect beauty is 2.3 cm long.

20180213_211748-1.thumb.jpg.b857cb98d7bbef33be86d64b6f813402.jpg

20180213_214902-3.thumb.jpg.792d157097b62648d63c5bae210acc7c.jpg20180213_214920-1.thumb.jpg.bc8f79093b3ed0184925a108c17f1ae1.jpg20180213_214937-1.thumb.jpg.91f57e0c8934629e7379f3f13b4a3300.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico

Nice bugs mate.:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

And then i got to bash up some matrix and found these plus the Itagnostus bits I posted earlier.

This cephalon is 1.5 mm at its widest point.20180213_211230-1-1.jpg.0f526f567de0240eb97be6eb34173e7e.jpg

And this one 1.2 cm long. 20180213_211431-1.thumb.jpg.13bcb844c4c29d294f5eb81b79340ffe.jpg

And this big cephalon which is 1.8 cm wide, this would have been a big one!

20180213_211623-1.thumb.jpg.0f40554ca00b9eb64cdca5b482ed0fa9.jpg

20180213_211640-1.thumb.jpg.81cd0994ea9a256fe45357f8b9317387.jpg

So thanks once again to Tony @ynot for his generosity and kindness in sending me replacements for lost specimens and the some! 

Cheers, Tony, i'm absolutely delighted! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice bugs mate.:wub:

Thank you! 

Did you see the tiny Itagnosus that I posted earlier? 

More coming soon with Ralph's Upper Cambrian bugs from Georgia! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico
25 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thank you! 

Did you see the tiny Itagnosus that I posted earlier? 

More coming soon with Ralph's Upper Cambrian bugs from Georgia! :)

I have now, beautiful thank you. They are on my to get list .:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wzoune

Nice, Thanks for sharing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot
9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Cheers, Tony, i'm absolutely delighted! 

:thumbsu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

And to bring my Cambrian up to date for now, another species of Trilobite sent to me by another TFF member. Ralph @Nimraviswas kind enough to send me these three examples of Aphelaspis brachyphasis as a bonus included with some wonderful Mazon Creek fossils he sent me. These are from the lowest part of the Upper Cambrian Paibian series and thus maybe about 496 mya. From the Conasuaga Formation by the Conasuaga River in North Gerogia, USA.  They may be not as well known or commercial as the slightly older  Elrathia kingii and perhaps not as pretty but they are much rarer and not generally available on the market at all. I think they're rather lovely and the thought that I maybe the only person in Africa to own this species is rather exciting! :wub: Thank you, Ralph! 

20180110_213449-1.thumb.jpg.df5e8c2aa4749bb304c016a301a1bbd2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

20180213_211824-1.thumb.jpg.ca5c821baa593298e4f94746737f205a.jpg

20180213_211849-1.thumb.jpg.651c6b77322905c4e65836e44e415f3b.jpg

20180213_211953-1-1.thumb.jpg.8c2e5f8123c4b5f2cfa263a2d0689cdf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Hmmm. 

My photos don't do them justice, they're more detailed than they appear here. 

Anyway, thanks for looking, here endeth my Cambrian collection for now. 

Time to return to the Ordovician for a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
17 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hmmm. 

My photos don't do them justice, they're more detailed than they appear here. 

Anyway, thanks for looking, here endeth my Cambrian collection for now. 

Time to return to the Ordovician for a bit. 

Glad that you like them Adam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

But wait! 

Just received some nice matrix from the Upper Cambrian Aphelaspis beds from Georgia courtesy of @Nimravis

Dropped from the top of the mountains by the postie, so some of the rocks are already split, but i'm most hopeful.

So let's see what I can find in this little lot. 

20180327_180517.thumb.jpg.93f215509a8aff26d782e87e95fe3f5a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

And finely, after two and a half weeks of diligent rock boshing, here are the results. 

20180415_235457-1.thumb.jpg.8077fde703b5e04a379a9fa3bd8c666d.jpg

A nice bunch of complete Aphelaspis brachyphasis, plus lots of librigenae and one or two agnostids! 

Close ups to follow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Aphelaspis brachyphasis. 

The one bottom left is 1.5 cm long. (not including the stain surrounding it). 

20180415_235635.thumb.jpg.cc5e256152f0351350094a8b502f4155.jpg

This one has a lot of shell material, I love the grey colour in contrast to the orange. 6 mm.

20180415_235635-3.thumb.jpg.fc5eb41a7abd4527392d57ee5201a52e.jpg

The big orange one is 1.5cm

 20180415_235635-4.thumb.jpg.d0f7f1254ef35035b422471b03be76cc.jpg

And to the right of it another with shell in places. 20180415_235659-1.thumb.jpg.2976b0dc0bdbd1c3c8ebf5e13a865ddb.jpg

A group of little 'uns, some a mm or less in the top and left of the picture. 

20180415_235730.thumb.jpg.4f461e5e1367643cba289a12c62625e2.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malone
57 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

And finely, after two and a half weeks of diligent rock boshing, here are the results. 

20180415_235457-1.thumb.jpg.8077fde703b5e04a379a9fa3bd8c666d.jpg

A nice bunch of complete Aphelaspis brachyphasis, plus lots of librigenae and one or two agnostids! 

Close ups to follow. 

What do you use to split these apart? Any specific tools or just a hammer and chisel? I can't seem to get thick pieces to split evenly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

And more : It hasn't come out too well in the photo, but the little pale one on the left has exquisite detail. It's 6 mm.

20180415_235809-2.thumb.jpg.914ae0dc3cb85cbf9cfc1f6c595cd945.jpg

I found a couple of plates like this with several on. The biggest one is 1.9 mm long. 

20180415_235939-1-1.thumb.jpg.b721b2c56b39b28ad0ba5390f09c9129.jpg

Here it is a closer look

20180416_000615.thumb.jpg.3bffa896f3b9ba77c923eb14d318d63b.jpg

And closer at the little one. 7 mm. 

20180416_000615-1.thumb.jpg.3c0614f2766fe5849cd1ca9c7992bed5.jpg

Nice one in the middle 6 mm. 

20180415_235908.thumb.jpg.932d6646c7e0f742a578f5493ae38291.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
13 minutes ago, Malone said:

What do you use to split these apart? Any specific tools or just a hammer and chisel? I can't seem to get thick pieces to split evenly.

This stuff splits pretty easily. 

I thin it down with the blade of my hammer and use a cold chisel or a steak knife to split it gradually thinner. Fingernails wok on some bits. i also played freeze/ thaw on some.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malone
11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This stuff splits pretty easily. 

I thin it down with the blade of my hammer and use a cold chisel or a steak knife to split it gradually thinner. Fingernails wok on some bits. i also played freeze/ thaw on some.

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

And the more eagle-eyed among you would have noticed in the bottom right of the last photograph - agnostid bits.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yay-smiley-1:

Result!

I love them! :wub:

Okay, so they're not as good as some I've seen, but I'm delighted , they're pretty rare, so happy with this. 

Here they are, i proudly present Barrandagnostus inexpectans. The one with shell material still in the big rock bottom left is 4.5 mm long. 

 20180415_235908-1.thumb.jpg.c31edcfbafe43b09d5e571a18988d473.jpg

Let's peek a bit closer :

20180416_000141-1.thumb.jpg.34b3c17271c737028b4c3657240d153b.jpg

20180416_000141-1-1.thumb.jpg.173d21dafa794ebdb1fb79aec4f10cc6.jpg

20180416_000230-1.thumb.jpg.7c671a25504b8171930d0fd4a09eb495.jpg

And a couple of other bits (i think)

20180416_000322-1-1.thumb.jpg.060b258c1895ffb6317d73acb9a1e0af.jpg

20180416_000416-1.thumb.jpg.d8a0446f0ac5927c03678dcfd2074e84.jpg

So, yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the matrix, Ralph, i did the best i could. @Nimravis

And that's the end of my Cambrian again for a bit. 

See you in the Ordovician. 

Thanks for looking,

Adam. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico

Great way to end your Cambrian post . Very enjoyable thank you Adam.

 

Next up is the Ordovician of the day.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
indominus rex
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Aphelaspis brachyphasis. 

The one bottom left is 1.5 cm long. (not including the stain surrounding it). 

20180415_235635.thumb.jpg.cc5e256152f0351350094a8b502f4155.jpg

This one has a lot of shell material, I love the grey colour in contrast to the orange. 6 mm.

20180415_235635-3.thumb.jpg.fc5eb41a7abd4527392d57ee5201a52e.jpg

The big orange one is 1.5cm

 20180415_235635-4.thumb.jpg.d0f7f1254ef35035b422471b03be76cc.jpg

And to the right of it another with shell in places. 20180415_235659-1.thumb.jpg.2976b0dc0bdbd1c3c8ebf5e13a865ddb.jpg

A group of little 'uns, some a mm or less in the top and left of the picture. 

20180415_235730.thumb.jpg.4f461e5e1367643cba289a12c62625e2.jpg

 

 

Awesome trilobites:wub: Your Cambrian collection is doing very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
4 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great way to end your Cambrian post . Very enjoyable thank you Adam.

 

Next up is the Ordovician of the day.:D

Thanks Bobby, i'm very pleased with them all. :)

Only the end for now I hope, there's several Moroccan Cambrian trilos I aim to acquire. 

I only have four more to post for Adam's Ordovician (including two beauties from you) and then it's on to Adam's Silurian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
4 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Awesome trilobites:wub: Your Cambrian collection is doing very well.

Thank you, I very much hope it will continue to grow. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×