Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Very nice collection.  I started my fossil collection with Trilobites about 30 years ago but migrated to sharks and dinos.  Still love all the variety and that you have a complete animal most of the time not just a piece.

Thanks, Frank, I love trilobites but am also very interested in some of the other creatures that lived alongside them. 

I prefer the weirdness of the Palaeozoic, and i'm especially fond of brachiopods just now! :wub:

Troodon
2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks, Frank, I love trilobites but am also very interested in some of the other creatures that lived alongside them. 

I prefer the weirdness of the Palaeozoic, and i'm especially fond of brachiopods just now! :wub:

I can understand that with Paleo material.  I love Paleozoic sharks which are some of the weirdest around and their teeth are super cool.  

Tidgy's Dad
On 5/12/2018 at 11:35 PM, Troodon said:

I can understand that with Paleo material.  I love Paleozoic sharks which are some of the weirdest around and their teeth are super cool.  

Indeed, I agree about the sharks. 

Not that i have any Paleozoic ones, i don't think. 

Just tried to do my billion tags bit on this thread but, as i suspected, it won't let me, I think it's only two days or something? 

If our lovely moderators are looking in, is it worth me sending someone a PM with tags to be added or not to bother?

Or are you able to do it Frank, with your 'Editing member' powers? 

Though I know you're busy. :)

Bobby Rico

Great thread Adam I think the Cambrian has some really interesting fauna. It really interesting to compare Adam’s threads.  Thank for sharing your collection.

Tidgy's Dad
Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Great thread Adam I think the Cambrian has some really interesting fauna. It really interesting to compare Adam’s threads.  Thank for sharing your collection.

Ta, Bobby! 

I love the Cambrian, though I don't have much. 

The Ordovician and the Devonian are also faves, but perhaps the Wenlock (Middle Silurian) is best of all. 

I will have changed my mind by tomorrow. :headscratch:

Dpaul7

Some really nice and interesting pieces!!!!

Tidgy's Dad
15 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

Some really nice and interesting pieces!!!!

Thank you, my friend. :)

Tidgy's Dad

Well, this is far from being Cambrian, but as I've already included the Ediacaran here, I might as well post my new Rhyacian fossil here too. 

It's a Proterozoic  stromatolite, the layered cyanobacteria (probably) Collenia undosa from the Biwabek Formation, Mary Ellen Mine, Nr. Biwabek, Mesabi Range, St. Louis County, Minnesota, USA. 

It is thought to be 2.11 billion years old! :faint:

Yes, BILLION. 

wifey and I get a thrill every time we touch this piece, it's breathtaking knowing what it is and the bands of red jasper and haematite are simply beautiful. :wub:

Thank you, Ralph @Nimravis, so, so much for this remarkable and generous gift. I will treasure it for another 2.11 billion years. :)A.jpeg.2dc08c33d271d55bb577a577cc80333d.jpeg

Ralph3c.thumb.jpg.c87b478290432e61dc422545144d3a05.jpg

Bobby Rico

Adam that is something special. Ralph is an amazingly kind forum member. The colour is incredible. A fossil to be treasured indeed 

Troodon

Cool stuff a bit eldery in age

Tidgy's Dad
On 8/12/2018 at 1:28 AM, Troodon said:

Cool stuff a bit eldery in age

Just a tad! 

Hoping for a slightly older one in the near future if all goes well! :)

Tidgy's Dad

Sadly, it didn't happen. 

Oh, well.

But I have recently received a new trilobite species for my collection. 

Thanks to Nathan @holdinghistory for this Ogygopsis typicalis from the Lower/ Middle Cambrian of Nevada. 

And thanks to Scott @piranha for the id. 

The actual trilobit is 4 cm long.

20181012_151434-1.thumb.jpg.5e3f86957e9386e9ebcfddc1487f5064.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

New trilobite! 

Thanks to my Secret Santa for this one. @Monicamay be interested to see it too! :D

This is Wujiajiania sutherlandi, Upper Cambrian, McKay Group from the East Kootenay Mountains, Cranbrook, British Colombia, Canada.

I love this species, a rarer one as the site is now not accessible, I understand. Notice it seems to have an inward curving glabella. Most interesting.

Here it is before prepping : 

5c3a7c56ba6d7_Monicasanta6.thumb.jpg.83877e09c20057dca7eee7f07b166528.jpg

And after a bit of poking with my pin vice :

20190112_235140-1.thumb.jpg.9cba0c579d3bd70fcc589e1aed702f9d.jpg20190112_235214-1.thumb.jpg.c1dcf14d4ab732c76f660b946a902f95.jpg

20190112_235250-1.thumb.jpg.3990f0b7a70fa60648dc8e5228a3d5e4.jpg

I love it! :wub: