Brazos River, Texas - Unknown fossil

Mike Price

I found this fossil on the Brazos River after hurricane Harvey waters receded. I've found a lot of turtle shell, armadillo and glyptodont scutes over the years. But I've never found anything like this before.

It is 2-3/4" L × 3" W × 3/4" thick and weighs  6ozs.

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks......

20171022_200407-1.jpg

20171022_200911-1.jpg

20171023_193739-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Could be an extremely tumbled piece of tortoise Hesperostestudo crassiscutata.  But I may be reaching.

• I found this Informative 4

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I think it looks a little like petrified palm wood, but I’m a total novice at ID. I do like hunting near the Brazos River, but you must be a lot farther south than I am. The Brazos is all lower Cretaceous near where I live.

What is the formation or period where you found this?

• I found this Informative 1

27 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I think it looks a little like petrified palm wood, but I’m a total novice at ID. I do like hunting near the Brazos River, but you must be a lot farther south than I am. The Brazos is all lower Cretaceous near where I live.

What is the formation or period where you found this?

Thanks, Kim. I live at the mouth of the Brazos. This piece was found on a sand bar along with some other nice fossils & artifacts I will also to try to get ID'd at some point...

Thanks everyone. I kind of thought it might be some type of turtle. I've just never found a complete section that big.

The Brazos river flooding during hurricane Harvey caused significant coastal and riverbank erosion in someplaces and a lot of bones and artifacts have been exposed or flushed to the coast. I've been marking sites and picking them up. I also think, I've found a paleo camp site. I found a thick layer of shell with worked chert and cobble. That place has kept me busy.

To put the Brazos river in proper context or perspective. This was the Brazos river flood. The dark brown area to the west of Brazos is the San Bernard river water and the other dark water to the east is standing rainwater along the coast, and we were flooded for a week after Hurricane Harvey. All is good on the Brazos now.....

Thanks again.

FB_IMG_1508984210372.jpg

• I found this Informative 2