hemi123

So, got off work early yesterday so decided to walk my open field area 25 miles inland off of the South Carolina coast. I have learned, and please correct if I am wrong, that this area is Oligocene formation or sediment layer. So spent around 1.5 hours walking and picking up lovely finds. Just wanted to share. Most of them are Angustiden, but a mix of a wishful Meg piece, and a few great white bits. I intend on leaving more from now on the pieces that are broken to leave for others to find. I think we can all tell from the laptop, which is a small 13 " monitor. Biggest one is around 2 inches, thats my beauty with the root, tip, and cusps.

10_14_17.jpg

What a great way to spend some time off!

Great finds! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice!:envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, hemi123 said:

that this area is Oligocene formation or sediment layer. So spent around 1.5 hours walking and picking up lovely finds. Just wanted to share. Most of them are Angustiden, but a mix of a wishful Meg piece, and a few great white bits.

Nice finds.

Can not be "great white" if the formation is oligocene. Great whites came out late miocene.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 10/25/2017 at 10:26 PM, ynot said:

Nice finds.

Can not be "great white" if the formation is oligocene. Great whites came out late miocene.

That makes a lot of sense. I want to ask, is it possible for two or more formations to be present at one locality, either laying on top of one another or overlapping? Thanks.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

That makes a lot of sense. I want to ask, is it possible for two or more formations to be present at one locality, either laying on top of one another or overlapping? Thanks.

Yes it is possible. You can have several formations exposed in a given area.

It is also known for older formations to erode fossils into a more recent deposit.

Maybe Someone closer to the area knows more about that exposure. @sixgill pete @MarcoSr @Boesse

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Yes it is possible. You can have several formations exposed in a given area.

It is also known for older formations to erode fossils into a more recent deposit.

Maybe Someone closer to the area knows more about that exposure. @sixgill pete @MarcoSr @Boesse

Tony

I've mostly collected the quarries and several rivers/streams further inland in SC, not open fields near the coast.  Depending exactly where in SC, I've found Eocene and/or Oligocene and/or Miocene (mostly reworked) teeth.  The teeth do look to be from the Oligocene to me, although some are too worn/damaged to tell for sure.  If Oligocene only, there wouldn't be any megs or great whites.  For that, the area would need some Miocene or Pliocene mixed in.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I am just learning the different stratospheres of sediment. But from the others that have posted here they have been mentioning what I had posted. In reference to what i find; I find a combination of meg frags, great whites, makos, angustiden, and hemipristis. So there IS a large variety, maybe as someone said above, the layers washed down into the creeks. I find them in the creek beds, not usually sticking out of the layer.

1 hour ago, hemi123 said:

I am just learning the different stratospheres of sediment. But from the others that have posted here they have been mentioning what I had posted. In reference to what i find; I find a combination of meg frags, great whites, makos, angustiden, and hemipristis. So there IS a large variety, maybe as someone said above, the layers washed down into the creeks. I find them in the creek beds, not usually sticking out of the layer.

Sounds like You are working a "lag" deposit that has multiple ages in it.

Sometimes it is nice to find the mixed ages of fossils. You never know what will pop up.

Good luck.

In some areas, several formations can be seen at once.  It looks like you definitely have Isurus hastalis and possibly I. retroflexus in your finds. 

So in the Charleston area, unless you pull a shark tooth right out of the Ashley Limestone, OR walk around at a construction site dug down into the Chandler Bridge Formation, every single shark tooth you will ever find here is pretty much guaranteed to be float or reworked. Most teeth are found in stream beds, and often when people go digging for big teeth they are really digging into the "Ashley Phosphate bed" - the basal phosphatic bone bed lag of the Pleistocene Wando Formation, which has reworked Oligocene, Miocene, and Pliocene fossils all mixed together (C. angustidens, C. chubutensis, C. megalodon, and Carcharodon carcharias teeth).

That helped a lot Bossee, thanks. Never thought of it that way. Guess thats why this past weekend I found one of the turtle shells(scutes?) of the old Galapagos turtles in the same area. Makes sense now.