ID help on cephalopod from Kansas City Winterset

KCMOfossil

I found this in the Winterset Limestone of the Pennsylvanian system, Kansas City group near Raytown, MO.  The matrix was quite oolithic.  You may notice from the pictures that I had some trouble reassembling and gluing it after it fell apart, and it may be missing a bit of the small end.  It looks to me like an internal mold of an evolutely coiled cephalopod.  It is about 2 cm x 1.5 cm.  Any ID help will be appreciated.

59f1489a87c7b_CIMG7044front.thumb.jpg.b19281c318ff6751a371dea51c680541.jpg59f148b35a0dd_CIMG7046rule.thumb.jpg.a6452c9579ba22010c4f8752e3478733.jpg59f148c70d25e_CIMG7045back.thumb.jpg.91f3ef0755a3b393e770b4f8cf1edd62.jpg

Thanks, Bullsnake, for the link.  Comparing the photos in the link, my specimen looks similar to Solenochilus.  

Russ

1 minute ago, KCMOfossil said:

Solenochilus

Oops, I mean Domatoceras.

Nice specimen.

It probably is Metaoceras. It is the most common type in the Winterset, and its first whorl is loosely coiled.

Context is critical.

Thanks, Missourian.  I have been fascinated by the materials I have found near Gregory and I-435.  The oolithic matrix makes for some interesting preservations.  Do you agree that this is an internal mold?  By the way, I think you skipped a keystroke; you meant to type Metacoceras.  Thanks for the ID help.

Russ

2 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

Thanks, Missourian.  I have been fascinated by the materials I have found near Gregory and I-435.  The oolithic matrix makes for some interesting preservations.  Do you agree that this is an internal mold?  By the way, I think you skipped a keystroke; you meant to type Metacoceras.  Thanks for the ID help.

Yes, Metacoceras mispeled. :)

And yes, the cephalopods are often preserved as internal molds.

Context is critical.

Archived