Another Eldredgeops iowensis southworthi trilobite found at Arkona!

Shamalama

@FossilDAWG Yes, Let me find it at home (or at least the pics I took of it) and I will post here later.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Here are a couple of pics of the specimen I found last year but it has not been cleaned as well as the one Malcolm worked on. I'll have to take this up to him when I next visit.

It is about half the size of the one I found this year and also enrolled but crushed nearly flat in different dimensions. It too was found in the south pit at Hungry Hollow.

IMG_20160601_192219.jpg

IMG_20160601_192201.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That one could benefit a whole lot from a little prep work. I definitely have got to give the South pit a chance one of these days......Wonder if my buddy Kane might be up for another Friday visit before the snows hit.... Rainy , bleak day here in Ontario today.....

35 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

That one could benefit a whole lot from a little prep work. I definitely have got to give the South pit a chance one of these days......Wonder if my buddy Kane might be up for another Friday visit before the snows hit.... Rainy , bleak day here in Ontario today.....

I never turn down an opportunity to get to Arkona. Yesterday was pretty nice, weather wise. Weather network says Nov 10th may be nice and sunny. Oh, and that plate with the two Greenops has a third one on it. It will take a bit of restoration. There is a chance for a fourth one, but I'll have to explore it a bit more.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hi,

Absolutely marvelous ! My keyboard is dipped of slaver and I will have to close my computer before electrocuting me ! 0033.gif

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

Here are a couple of pics of the specimen I found last year but it has not been cleaned as well as the one Malcolm worked on. I'll have to take this up to him when I next visit.

It is about half the size of the one I found this year and also enrolled but crushed nearly flat in different dimensions. It too was found in the south pit at Hungry Hollow.

IMG_20160601_192219.jpg

IMG_20160601_192201.jpg

A very nice one, as well. I actually like these distorted, crushed, flattened, and twisted specimens; they have a lot of character. This one should prep out beautifully... and would make a perfect gift for any Ontario fossil collector you know whose name rhymes with "Spain." :D 

Both of these definitely have to be posted in the Arkona list on your blog!

That one may be flattened some but it's a beautiful bug.  The eyes look to be in perfect condition. :wub: I'll have to look through my collection but I'm pretty sure I don't have even a piece of an E. iowensis from Arkona.

Don

Don,  There are plenty of pygidiums and cephalons found in the Hungry Hollow of E. iowensis but the articulated specimens are the hard ones to find. I'll have to look through my boxes of findings to see if I have any other pieces.

23 hours ago, Kane said:

A very nice one, as well. I actually like these distorted, crushed, flattened, and twisted specimens; they have a lot of character. This one should prep out beautifully... and would make a perfect gift for any Ontario fossil collector you know whose name rhymes with "Spain." :D 

Both of these definitely have to be posted in the Arkona list on your blog!

I don't know any member named "Train" or "Plane" or "Cocaine".... Guess I'll just have to give it to some other Ontario collector. ;)

-Dave

15 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Don,  There are plenty of pygidiums and cephalons found in the Hungry Hollow of E. iowensis but the articulated specimens are the hard ones to find. I'll have to look through my boxes of findings to see if I have any other pieces.

I was somewhat doubtful that there were plenty of pieces of this species. as I never seemed to pull even fragments of them. But, as you plan to go through your findings, I decided to have a look-see in my own - lo and behold, a pygidium that I had too hastily consigned to the pit of partials:

IMG_4223.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Kane said:

I was somewhat doubtful that there were plenty of pieces of this species. as I never seemed to pull even fragments of them. But, as you plan to go through your findings, I decided to have a look-see in my own - lo and behold, a pygidium that I had too hastily consigned to the pit of partials:

IMG_4223.JPG

And Bingo is her name-o!  I too have likely tossed aside pieces of E. iowensis as partials without a second thought. 

-Dave

Ok, It's a rainy day here in Philly so I had some time to do a quick search through my Arkona findings boxes. I think I found an isolated cephalon and pygidium of E. iowensis.

IMG_6963a.thumb.jpg.859cc4d3b214869a54b057c77f77957e.jpgIMG_6966a.thumb.jpg.812743fdb794b9cfd28e1cbdf3ec83a2.jpg

I also found this little, 1cm diameter roller in matrix that is likely a regular Eldredgops.

IMG_6972a.thumb.jpg.bb1d667911f72dfe916e524ac03e404f.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

-Dave

looks like you are finding lots of them .... Can't say I have ever found even a piece. But then I probably have a total of 8 hours ever at the south pit..... Always spend my time on the north side......