Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Nimravis

After making a stop at the Anna Roadcut, I drove about  15 minutes to Vienna, Illinois where there is a roadcut at the entrance to Interstate  24. This rock is  supposed to Be Mississippian Menard Limestone. 

 

At this location I also found some nice hash plates, my biggest blastoid of the day, Horn coral, Archimedes’ screw, bryozoan and brachiopods.

 

C0999899-715F-4075-A6C1-5C2608EDB994.png.7540ba29fe5daaaa099fafe619a617a3.png

CE988A84-AD19-476C-9C9A-F34DDFF091A4.jpeg.41511247cb2c1c50ade7127e81153ee2.jpeg

0D8E159A-12FA-47E7-9080-0ED1C33E62E3.jpeg.1fd8ef118d08c8d1700084e237e5156a.jpeg

F4B83CF7-8FFD-4CF0-A9C5-E339E2F07CFD.jpeg.40dc7d9da2b19f51db74ee779754db36.jpeg60AAD58B-3C5E-4BE4-BA83-F7F23396ACFA.jpeg.cf0a2618ed906f1f33b755334b8128db.jpegC0572294-B5C9-427D-8155-87F6D44FBBE2.jpeg.21d3485d9815975c2e99e51dc2e33782.jpeg6EA131B8-B842-46D0-A2FB-5B582E90789A.jpeg.4a9f0f753b08fd3d7138471f5ebf9de4.jpegC6A22BEE-A53C-4A00-917A-B06DD319A883.jpeg.a8844be8118869ff42360adeba67f589.jpeg9BABA210-5BE7-4C7F-8D6D-18A29E5B591C.jpeg.ca6881ae882adb1b49c75b1aceebcb16.jpeg114A8282-0E1B-403C-8201-A1BE1FF6C0A8.jpeg.617c276384119389a1cb6b7a3215610d.jpegA1108B8C-3563-4BDE-9308-9011FF3E88D7.jpeg.dcd922bdcc911060a4b503fbc2527059.jpeg2E069ECE-6812-4C93-BB14-B6A955C8F07C.jpeg.2e6878f0e4d29231f9e1ad44bbdfdb44.jpegBE96C2F9-89A3-47D1-969C-737236AEF3F9.jpeg.cca758fbf550f3b4bac0ca28bbcf3c1f.jpegED173758-F85F-4A7F-9E81-1FC3F9E2C146.jpeg.13f8843a42d2bd956f33fd6c015b316b.jpegF57EE8B1-766F-4BF5-B227-11BFE4EFE416.jpeg.66bf46b40a3462e570ca90b0a5944435.jpegBDDFA9F2-D255-4F6C-8606-78CF370A9C4C.jpeg.f111bf1b5fe70ac5bba09cfd91ffb898.jpeg1C50273C-418D-468B-925A-A47D8F3A085D.jpeg.6e7cf40073482228b6134100e5b09162.jpeg69E0341E-CCAF-4A86-8143-BFC909DFF733.jpeg.4a2a851ecb6c5805d79d06a451c560b8.jpeg

CADE181A-6EA4-4376-BF8D-ADE0780D7A66.jpeg D60F425F-898E-43FE-8801-DC9232460FC8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

More niceness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns

I love these palaeozoic trip reports!  That location looks just like Sulphur, IN.  That is a beautiful, inflated blastoid.  And those brachiopods are in really nice shape for Mississippian material (especially that spiriferid). Nice finds and pics.  Thanks for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
15 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I love these palaeozoic trip reports!  That location looks just like Sulphur, IN.  That is a beautiful, inflated blastoid.  And those brachiopods are in really nice shape for Mississippian material (especially that spiriferid). Nice finds and pics.  Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comments Pete, and yes, I was looking for more of the same, but no luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Archimedes

Upper Chester fauna, beautiful Pentremites spicatus specimen :fistbump:, these larger Pentremites are especially nice to find. Great pics of a well used rock hammer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Those are some impressive blastoids! Huge! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
5 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Upper Chester fauna, beautiful Pentremites spicatus specimen :fistbump:, these larger Pentremites are especially nice to find. Great pics of a well used rock hammer!

Thanks and yes, my hammer has been around lol..

5 hours ago, Kane said:

Those are some impressive blastoids! Huge! I know someone with a miserable life who would love to hunt here. ;)

 

Thanks, the only problem with This road cut was it was littered with a ton of trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Monica

That is a big blastoid - WOW!  This thread makes me even more :envy::envy:!!!

 

I'm glad you had a nice day out hunting!

 

Monica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fossildude19

Easily accessible roadcut sites like this are a treasure. :) 

Thanks for another great report. 

Regards,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobby Rico

Some great finds Ralph I love the Archimedes screws. I have always wanted to add some to my collection and that blastoid :envy:. Cheers Bobby 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ludwigia

Nice finds! Did you find them all in the scree at the bottom or did you also clamber about a bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

@Monica ,   @Bobby Rico ,  @Fossildude19 Thanks for the nice comments.

 

 

 

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds! Did you find them all in the scree at the bottom or did you also clamber about a bit?

Nothing was found at the bottom, I had to climb around a bit..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalmayshun

Gorgeous, and hashplates are one of my favorite things, I look at them for hours with my loupe...nature is absolutely amzing. Congrats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
matt2396

Nice finds, I've spent many hours at both of those spots, got stung by a hornet last time I was at the Vienna cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
On 10/27/2017 at 1:59 PM, dalmayshun said:

Gorgeous, and hashplates are one of my favorite things, I look at them for hours with my loupe...nature is absolutely amzing. Congrats

Lol, I do the same with some hash plates that I have..

19 hours ago, matt2396 said:

Nice finds, I've spent many hours at both of those spots, got stung by a hornet last time I was at the Vienna cut. 

Matt,

Lol, I had hornets all around me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KimTexan

The blastoids are beautiful. I have never seen any of those around here. At least not where I’ve hunted. Now the picture below your group of blastoids with all the shells, I have found quite a few of those around here, but they are all in the Pennsylvanian, but I guess they’re both Carboniferous and not so far apart that the Mississippian might have species crossing over into the Pennsylvanian period.

I found these about 10 days ago in a road cut here in Texas. I think they may be neospirifer. They look similar to the one stuck in matrix.

8EEFA0D2-285A-41E9-B9BA-F31794E229BC.jpeg

1BD79BF4-C6A6-449B-8C54-53D5D96FE217.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

The blastoids are beautiful. I have never seen any of those around here. At least not where I’ve hunted. Now the picture below your group of blastoids with all the shells, I have found quite a few of those around here, but they are all in the Pennsylvanian, but I guess they’re both Carboniferous and not so far apart that the Mississippian might have species crossing over into the Pennsylvanian period.

I found these about 10 days ago in a road cut here in Texas. I think they may be neospirifer. They look similar to the one stuck in matrix.

8EEFA0D2-285A-41E9-B9BA-F31794E229BC.jpeg

1BD79BF4-C6A6-449B-8C54-53D5D96FE217.jpeg

Very nice finds Kim, I think they are possibly of a different species..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×