ElToro

Hi guys! 

A mate of mine has a Chengjiang fossil that he has had for ages and believes it to be a Yunnanozoon. However, at some point someone told him it could be a Leptomitus terretiusculus instead. I'm not very knowledgeable on this genus and can't find many images. But the fossil does look like a Yunnanozoon to me. Something that puzzles me is the striated surface texture. What could this be from? 

Anyone who has seen this before or can help me nail down the ID would be great! Thanx in advance! 

IMG_20171027_142301.png

IMG_20171027_142238.png

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

You might find some articles of interest in the Vetulicola (link) section of my pdf library here on The Fossil Forum.  Just click on the link and scroll down to the section on the Yunnanozoonidae section.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanx mate! I'm a big lover of Cambrian critters and was recently mentioned in a paper about the new species of Caryosyntrips because I donated a specimen that kicked off a search for more specimens hidden away in museum collections and led to a couple new species and a massive change in the temporal and geographic range of this most beastly of Cambrian apex predators! Those Yunnanozoon must have been running scared their whole loves with all the predators around at the time...

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

I'm developing a bit of a 'soft spot' for some of the Cambrian arthopods myself!  Unfortunately, we don't have very many exposures of Cambrian sedimentary rocks here in Texas.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Archived