Kyen

Measurement and location information should be provided, which may then assist in a more precise identification (such as at the species level). Have a look at our pinned topics in the Fossil ID thread. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It was found in the sand hills of Nebraska in a stream feeding into the niobrara river I don't have the exact measurements but my best guess will be 5 1/2 inches in length and 2 1/2 inches in width 

Similar to Desmostylus tooth with concave area in center of each circular cusp. Desmostylus fossils, however, are only found along the Pacific Ocean coast; Nebraska probably excluded.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I must agree with elephantoid tooth.  I just measured the m2 (the largest molar) of my MIOCENE entelodont, Daeodon sp., from Florida.  Daeodon was larger than Dinohyas of Nebraska, but the m2 is only about 2.5" x 2.0".  So, if  kyen's tooth is close to 5.5", the only possibility is a senile elephantoid.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It looks to be senile, I agree.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

Looks mammut americanum to me. The lophs are too circular for a gomp. 

I think that's not correct.  In M. americanus the lophs merge as they wear.  See the wear pattern in this image:

mastodondentary.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 5 weeks later...

Great find!:envy: I’m from southeast Nebraska, we make fun of the rest of the state at times, but I really really need to get out West! Haha I’m a little weary of marine life at the moment...