Oviraptor egg

Haravex

seen this for sale and to me it looks genuine but i am wondering about its authenticity, its location has no red flags as is Washington (not Cincinnati) any input would be appreciated. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Definitely real.  Eggshell missing from one side and weak on the other,  price looks high considering condition.   

• I found this Informative 1

I'm not even convinced that the shells of this egg are real, as this egg is extremely similar to those that are sold from Malaysia, are being offered with free shipping, and deceiving thousands of people on our favorite auction site.

For comparison, below, I give as an example, a legitimate egg of the type Elongatoolithus sp. that is deposited in my private collection:

01.PNG

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

@Seguidora-de-Isis I think it's real but a poor prep job.  If it was fake why only put eggshell on one side.  You can also see the eggshell follow the extreme curvature on the ends which would be very difficult to fake.  I would not buy this egg simply because it's a lot of money for little eggshell. 

• I found this Informative 3

It's real, and I am quite sure the eggshells are too. The white area is the original membrane of the egg, which is the soft covering you see under chicken eggs.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I would be weary. Looks real but the LOA is signed by the same Malaysian dealer of all the fake eggs on eBay... it also says velociraptor and Jurassic World on the LOA. Maybe it's a resell from someone who bought it from the Malaysians?

Also- letters of authenticity are meaningless. 

Does anyone know this seller and can vouch for him? @Troodon @-Andy- 

30 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I

Seller has been around and I've done business with him.  His Id's are not very good and my bet is that he purchased it on the cheap and is just flipping it.  I do not think he's capable of  determining the authenticity of the egg.  I still believe it's real but would not touch it for the reasons I've already stated.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I would be weary. Looks real but the LOA is signed by the same Malaysian dealer of all the fake eggs on eBay... it also says velociraptor and Jurassic World on the LOA. Maybe it's a resell from someone who bought it from the Malaysians?

Also- letters of authenticity are meaningless. 

I have bought from him before. It was genuine.

I can't judge if he's good at his IDs or not, but based off the pictures of this Oviraptor, I still stand by them being real, despite their origin being from a problematic dealer.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

so just keep trying the auction site lottery and hope to get one for a good price someday, also thank you all for all the information provided :)

45 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I have bought from him before. It was genuine.

I can't judge if he's good at his IDs or not, but based off the pictures of this Oviraptor, I still stand by them being real, despite their origin being from a problematic dealer.

He's awful with his Hell Creek IDs for example cannot differentiate turtle bones from theropod. B careful

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

He's awful with his Hell Creek IDs for example cannot differentiate turtle bones from theropod. B careful

Thanks. I bought a Nanotyrannus tooth from him. It was a safe buy.

Before, I was just suspicious that was not real, but now that I've seen who signed the paper, I'm sure it's not real. Escape from this egg, just as the devil flees from the cross my friend @Haravex! There is a staff there in Malaysia who are getting better at fakes, like this for example, which is advertised at our favorite auction site:

02.PNG

And if these eggs are even real, then I have two theories:

01 - They discovered a formation containing eggs in Malaysia (which I find very improbable)

02 - The new escape route of fossils that are banned from being marketed in China is no longer Hong Kong, but rather Malaysia. And this I think is most likely, because as 99.9% of malayan eggs are faked, this would not draw much attention from the authorities.

03.PNG

8 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Before, I was just suspicious that was not real, but now that I've seen who signed the paper, I'm sure it's not real. Escape from this egg, just as the devil flees from the cross my friend @Haravex! There is a staff there in Malaysia who are getting better at fakes, like this for example, which is advertised at our favorite auction site:

And if these eggs are even real, then I have two theories:

01 - They discovered a formation containing eggs in Malaysia (which I find very improbable)

02 - The new escape route of fossils that are banned from being marketed in China is no longer Hong Kong, but rather Malaysia. And this I think is most likely, because as 99.9% of malayan eggs are faked, this would not draw much attention from the authorities.

I know of the Malaysian seller you speak of.

While I cannot tell if this egg you show is real or fake, there are other eggs by him that I am certain are real, because of how poor their eggshell condition are, ironically. My opinion is that he sells majority fake eggs, with some real ones slipping through.

5 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

I know of the Malaysian seller you speak of.

While I cannot tell if this egg you show is real or fake, there are other eggs by him that I am certain are real, because of how poor their eggshell condition are, ironically. My opinion is that he sells majority fake eggs, with some real ones slipping through.

It may be ... The problem is that if you sell 99 true fossils and 1 false, automatically everyone will think you own 100 fake fossils ... Achieving credibility is a lot, but very difficult, but to lose credibility, then, unfortunately, everything It's very fast.

Hugs my friend @-Andy-!  You helped me a lot in buying my egg!:D

03.PNG

• 1 month later...

Ok so thought i would add to this topic as just found a new one listed on our favorite auction site any input is appreciated.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

Most of this sellers eggs  are fake but he's posted a few with this type of preservation and they appear to be real.  It's not prepped very well but the red matrix adds to it's character. 

Edit: I see its being auctioned and not buy it now so he must realize it's a good one. 

That's your choice, you may want to wait to bid until others react to you post   @-Andy- @HamptonsDoc

I personally don't deal with sellers/dealers when they intentionally deceive people.  They are crooks.. but I do not cast judgement on what others do.

• I found this Informative 2

Fair enough did not know it was the same seller as all the fakes, and have been keeping an eye out for an egg for a while now this was the first one i've seen that looked good.

Personally I would not feel comfortable with anything sold from the main distributor of fake eggs on the internet even if the general consensus of people here is that it is real.  I would always question its authenticity and it would never sit right in my collection.  Whatever your max bid for this egg would be, I would personally recommend you wait and save the money and save up more over the next few months/year until another one from another dealer comes up.  Oviraptor eggs do show up and you can get them at a good price and in better shape if you are patient and check online daily.

Other than the seller, I do not see any red flags on this specific egg.  If you like it, are ok buying from this dealer, and will cherish it in your collection then go for it.

• I found this Informative 5

Looks real to me, but I'd avoid this. You can get better specimens elsewhere that are prepped, or have less fracturing.

There is one issue to consider  - Even if your specimen is genuine, you might find it hard to sell or trade off this specimen in the future simply because it came from a dubious source.

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone, I got one these legit eggs myself recently, but the matrix has me concerned. It is the same as posted above. Are these really from China or Mongolia? I see varying input on these.

thanks!

4 hours ago, Seanrad09 said:

Hey everyone, I got one these legit eggs myself recently, but the matrix has me concerned. It is the same as posted above. Are these really from China or Mongolia? I see varying input on these.

thanks!

I would recommend you make your own thread and include pictures. That way you will be more likely to catch the eye of experts (of which I am not one) and get your answers. Hope it goes well! :thumbsu: