Ear bone?

Peace river rat

Hope these pics came out OK. I think this may be the inner ear bone (bulea?) of a whale?

Found in the peace river, I don't think the dime made it in the pic. It is very dense and fills the palm of the hand, I bet it weighs, 3 ounces.

1027171101.jpg

1027171101a.jpg

55 minutes ago, calhounensis said:

Looks Sirenian. Metaxytherium most likely based on the locality. 

Thanks! Was I half on the mark? Ear bone? One of my strangest finds, ever!

This is a sirenian - while Metaxytherium is a possibility, I think Trichechus is perhaps more likely and careful comparisons with each would be needed to tell.

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

A pair of dugongid periotics from the Peace River for comparison:

dugongid periotics.jpg

Harry,

Your collection is fantastic.... In the beginning, I did not realize that you were/are making these photos up on the fly with actual fossils. By the way, I have never found one of these dugonoid periotics (to my knowledge).  They are pretty rare... I have found lots of whale and dolphin periotics.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Harry,

Your collection is fantastic.... In the beginning, I did not realize that you were/are making these photos up on the fly with actual fossils. By the way, I have never found one of these dugonoid periotics (to my knowledge).  They are pretty rare... I have found lots of whale and dolphin periotics.

Definitely one of my odder, pieces.

Archived