Kane

I'm really getting into preparation as of late, courtesy of having some of the right tools on hand. But as I am still a novice at it, I have been practicing on easier specimens. I thought I'd share my progress - and a wee bit of pride. ;) 

When it comes to easier prep jobs, Penn Dixie Eldredgeops rana can be fairly forgiving for the beginner. 

The first picture is of how the roller (on the right) appeared once I freed it from the matrix. It's a might bit dusty and caked in matrix.

IMG_4243.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

After about half an hour of air abrasion (Paasche using 40 micron dolomite at 20-30 PSI), another 15 minutes of sewing needles, a 90 minute dip in solution, and a few more finishing touches - voila! 

Almost flawless save for a little bit of damage and maybe one or two very tiny, stubborn bits of matrix in between some ribs. I'm just amazed by the detail. I'm definitely getting hooked on preparation. 

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Very very nice job, stunning!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Awesome prep, Kane.   :trilo:

Well done, sir.  :dinothumb:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What is the solution of which you speak?

Just some sodium hydroxide to soften/remove some parts of the matrix.

Very very nice...... I see the dolomite did the trick for you. I suspect you will be wanting me to add you to the list of who I pick up bags for.......

Hi,

Marvelous ! :wub:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks, everyone. :) 

It wasn't a bad entree into this. Been working on two others, but should slow down - winters can be long! And I still need a few more prep items (scope, dispensing needles, and to build the blast box when prep goes indoors).

@Ptychodus04 - I've already had prep-related dreams. :P In one, I was able to micronize myself and chop out the small, stubborn stuff with a pickaxe. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

In one, I was able to micronize myself and chop out the small, stubborn stuff with a pickaxe. 

Dude, lay off the corned beef and pickled eggs right before bed!

I once dreamt that I found a fully articulated T. rex and had to try to get it excavated overnight before I had to go to work in the morning. The crazy part was that I got it done.

• I found this Informative 1

Absolutely amazing! There is a noticeable improvement between this trilobite and the ones when you were starting out with air tools! Keep up the good work!

On 10/28/2017 at 3:34 PM, Kane said:

IMG_4221.jpg

The really important question that no one is asking is, is this going to be your new profile pic?My vote is yes

6 minutes ago, mattbsharks said:

Absolutely amazing! There is a noticeable improvement between this trilobite and the ones when you were starting out with air tools! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It can take up to 2 hours on some of these, all told. A quick and dirty prep may take 30-60 minutes, but for real quality it takes a lot longer. 

As these trilobites are fairly common, they aren't commercially viable for prep. If I factor in my time, which in different venues may span $50-150 an hour, it would not be a worthwhile commercial venture for me on these particular bugs. 

It is possible that one of these pics could replace my avatar, but maybe the "rough and ready roller" best expresses me. I have a reputation as a bit of a rock basher, Viking-like. :P 

On 30.10.2017 at 12:05 PM, Kane said:

(scope, dispensing needles, and to build the blast box when prep goes indoors).

Don't forget about dust extraction if you haven't already thought of that, otherwise you'll just be peering into a cloud of dust.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Don't forget about dust extraction if you haven't already thought of that, otherwise you'll just be peering into a cloud of dust.

Ah, yes, a good shop vac! Definitely on the list!

12 hours ago, Kane said:

It is possible that one of these pics could replace my avatar, but maybe the "rough and ready roller" best expresses me. I have a reputation as a bit of a rock basher, Viking-like. :P 

I can get behind that:hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01::hammer01:

On 11/1/2017 at 9:02 AM, Kane said:

Ah, yes, a good shop vac! Definitely on the list!

You want to catch the dust/abrasive in a water trap or cyclone collector before it gets to your shop vac or you will do 2 things. First will be to quickly clog up the bag in the vac. Second will be to burn up the motor on the vac. <3 micron particles will bypass all but the finest of bags and play Loki inside the motor.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:25 PM, Kane said:

I have a reputation as a bit of a rock basher, Viking-like. :P 

Since Norwegian makes up a good portion of my genetic Heinz 57, I can appreciate that quality in another human. :D I have been commanded by my teenage boys to forge them a couple viking war axes along with some saexs. Of course, they will blend that with the Scottish from their mother and wield them whilst wearing kilts.

Of course, it's November 2nd and the forecast is for 92 degrees today! I won't be firing up the forge this afternoon.

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Since Norwegian makes up a good portion of my genetic Heinz 57, I can appreciate that quality in another human. :D I have been commanded by my teenage boys to forge them a couple viking war axes along with some saexs. Of course, they will blend that with the Scottish from their mother and wield them whilst wearing kilts.

Of course, it's November 2nd and the forecast is for 92 degrees today! I won't be firing up the forge this afternoon.

I suppose I'll find out for sure once my genetic test comes back. But, hey, Scot and Viking makes a fairly good pairing... pretty much similar landscapes! :D 

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You want to catch the dust/abrasive in a water trap or cyclone collector before it gets to your shop vac or you will do 2 things. First will be to quickly clog up the bag in the vac. Second will be to burn up the motor on the vac. <3 micron particles will bypass all but the finest of bags and play Loki inside the motor.

Thanks for that, Kris. Great advice. Prep gear is expensive enough that having to add annual shop vac replacement will just make it more pricey!