darrow

10 minutes ago, darrow said:

Collected this just now...

DCA7B6C9-7AB7-4808-99B8-8666790B12B8.jpeg

D14A4649-3D3F-4EC6-BD0F-CBCC4179A7DF.jpeg

Awesome find! I have a large collection from the peace river (where I often hunt)  Ones of those, still eludes me!  Great find!

14 minutes ago, darrow said:

Collected this just now...

FANTASTIC FIND :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1: Congratulations. You must feel on top of the world!.  I love the veins for blood vessels that are clearly differentiated. Please provide other views as you get the time. I am interested in identification.  :popcorn: Which sloths are prevalent in Texas fossil record?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow, excellent find.... finally got my first just this past spring :fistbump: it had been on my list a while

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

That, sir, is a coveted Texas find.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

So cool! :o

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 10/28/2017 at 4:25 PM, Shellseeker said:

FANTASTIC FIND :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1: Congratulations. You must feel on top of the world!.  I love the veins for blood vessels that are clearly differentiated. Please provide other views as you get the time. I am interested in identification.  :popcorn: Which sloths are prevalent in Texas fossil record?

Yes! Welcome to the club! That looks like a nice one. I think megalonyx jeffersoni is prevalent here. Eremothere may have been around but this claw looks a little small for that beast. 

21 hours ago, garyc said:

Yes! Welcome to the club! That looks like a nice one. I think megalonyx jeffersoni is prevalent here. Eremothere may have been around but this claw looks a little small for that beast. 

Thanks for the response.  I have been fighting a virus and slow to respond.  Here is a jeffersoni that I found in Florida. 

Note the complex "attachment" end... On Darrow's find, very different and I was curious about why. Different claw position, different species.... etc

image.png.63368bde0ea85ed3b97a49799ec378a4.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Perhaps not very evident in my original photos but the proximal end of the claw core is damaged...  broken off approximately at the red line below.

I'll take some clear pictures multiple views and post them in the ID section later this week.  In the meantime if anyone can point me to a diagnostic dimensional study that might help identify species or genus I'd appreciate it.  I've not found much beyond terms like " more curved" or "laterally flattened" which aren't really very helpful. 

Darrow

Shellseaker it looks like your's in missing the sheath.

Untitled.png.a239bc4023e37d8825bfff9ee7d8f48b.png

40 minutes ago, darrow said:

Perhaps not very evident in my original photos but the proximal end of the claw core is damaged...  broken off approximately at the red line below.

I'll take some clear pictures multiple views and post them in the ID section later this week.  In the meantime if anyone can point me to a diagnostic dimensional study that might help identify species or genus I'd appreciate it.  I've not found much beyond terms like " more curved" or "laterally flattened" which aren't really very helpful. 

Darrow

Shellseaker it looks like your's in missing the sheath.

Darrow,

Thanks for the update,  I have actually seen sloth claws that have less curved proximal ends. Also I have found 5 sloth claws, none of which have any vestige of a sheath.. I have found 3 Jeffersons, 1 Harlan, and 1 very small Megalonyx leptostomus

1 hour ago, darrow said:

it looks like your's in missing the sheath.

It is very rare for keratin to fossilize, so no claw sheaths.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes, of course I wasn't referring to the keratin nail itself...    the "sheath" being the boney pocket at the proximal end that supports the base of the keratin nail or claw and from which the keratin grows in life.   Although from personal experience I'd expect keratin in fact originates from the entire surface claw core including from within the "pocket". 

"In life the bony core would have been covered with a toenail growing out of the pocket or sheath at the wide end." http://slothcentral.com/archives/2505

Quote above and illustration below from... Walk Like a Sloth: lessons in ground sloth locomotion by David J. Brenzel   The Tarkio Valley Sloth Project 

clawlabels-1024x600.jpg

Some quick views of the ventral tuberosity, articular concavities, nutrient foramin, and partial "sheath" with missing section drawn in red.  You can also see where the dorsal process is broken off my example...

FullSizeRender3.jpg

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

On 11/2/2017 at 5:43 AM, darrow said:

the "sheath" being the boney pocket at the proximal end that supports the base of the keratin nail or claw and from which the keratin grows in life. 

Did not know that, Thanks.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Fantastic find! Would make for a great Fossil of the Month! Can it still be applied for November even though found so late in October?

1 minute ago, hxmendoza said:

Fantastic find! Would make for a great Fossil of the Month! Can it still be applied for November even though found so late in October?

If the majority of the prep is done in the month in which it is entered, it would be eligible. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sweet find!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

I would love to find one of those, especially for my wife.  She is a zookeeper and have two sloths where she works at. 

Archived