Jeffrey P

These are all very lovely, but those blastoids are quite large. Thanks for taking us through the bluegrass state. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Lots of goodies!

Those orangish blastoids look very much like a couple that I have had for years that I lost the locality info for (Didn't collect them myself). I think someone here suggested they were from a site/area in Kentucky... maybe it's that one? Other suggestions included places in Indiana or Illinois.. I'm not sure how far orange blastoids range, or which areas are most likely to have been the source of ones sold in a fossil shop in Drumheller AB in the 1980s...

Great finds, and report Jeff.

Thanks for posting them up. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

9 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

My favorite finds of the day were the gastropods, Cyclonema bilix. Here are two examples: 

image1 (217).JPG

These are quite nice :wub:...well done, Jeffrey. This is a heck of a collection you've made! 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Cool stuff Jeffrey, any of the blastoids show the remains of their color pattern? Wax is known for that. Crinoid looks like Phanocrinus.

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Sounds like a wonderful trip with some very nice finds!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the encouragement, Tony.

11 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Wow some really nice finds

Thanks Ralph. Nice to be recognized by the MOTM.

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

NIce! Especially the crinoid head!

Thanks. The crinoid head was my favorite too- a first for my collection. It was found lying out in the open on a heavily eroded shale bed- probably having been exposed by rains the week before. 

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

You sure do get around, Jeffrey! Nice finds! I guess you must have been able to squeeze in a bit of time for your parents in between trips :P

Thanks Roger. If you consider going to Germany and Ontario in the same year I guess I do get around. I did spend plenty of time with family also. It helped that they lived within half an hour of all of the Mississippian sites.  Also got to relax some on my sister's deck. The 14 hour drive from NY each way, however, was a bit extreme. 

IMG_3066.JPG

5 hours ago, snakebite6769 said:

Great finds Jeffrey. Love the isotelus thoracic segments..my favorite trilobite. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Rob. As I said there's was a layer where there were multiple Isotelus pieces on each rock and that was just surface collecting. If we actually dug into the layer, no telling what we would have found. 

3 hours ago, Monica said:

WOW!!!!!  What an amazing mixture of fossils you've found!!!  I especially like that partial crinoid head - amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Thanks Monica. The Ohio Valley is especially rich in Paleozoic fossils. I know there's lots more to explore and I plan to do so. Kudos to my family for moving there. I agree, the crinoid head is my fave too. 

3 hours ago, Kane said:

These are all very lovely, but those blastoids are quite large. Thanks for taking us through the bluegrass state. :) 

Thanks Kane, but I've heard of much larger blastoids in Illinois and West Virginia. However, the preservation on these is quite exquisite. Before my trip here last October I didn't have ANY blastoids in my collection.  Now I'm becoming selective of which ones I'll pick up. 

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Lots of goodies!

Those orangish blastoids look very much like a couple that I have had for years that I lost the locality info for (Didn't collect them myself). I think someone here suggested they were from a site/area in Kentucky... maybe it's that one? Other suggestions included places in Indiana or Illinois.. I'm not sure how far orange blastoids range, or which areas are most likely to have been the source of ones sold in a fossil shop in Drumheller AB in the 1980s...

Thanks. It was quite a haul I'm still cleaning and organizing. What I showed was just a sample. Blastoids, as far as I know, are common in a number of Mid Western states, but are very rare here in New York. Good luck finding the locality. 

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great finds, and report Jeff.

Thanks for posting them up. 

Thanks Tim. Prepare to get a few gifts. 

2 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

These are quite nice :wub:...well done, Jeffrey. This is a heck of a collection you've made! 

Thanks Mike. Almost all of the Ordovician gastropods I've found so far are steinkerns, so I was I was quite pleased to find these where the outer shell is preserved. I could also post other gastropod species I found on this trip but they're the same ones I found at Brechin, Ontario back in June.  

1 hour ago, JimB88 said:

Cool stuff Jeffrey, any of the blastoids show the remains of their color pattern? Wax is known for that. Crinoid looks like Phanocrinus.

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. I was searching crinoids for IDs without luck. Using your suggestion I looked up Phanocrinus and it appears to be a possible match. Thanks a bunch. 

13 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Also some rugose corals coated with bryozoans and a partial crinoid head:

image1 (180).JPG

And calyxes of the crinoid, Agassizocrinus:

13 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

image1 (212).JPG

Finds of the trip IMHO. Nice to get some fauna that is rarely found in NY and from rocks that are not at all found in NY!

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Roger. If you consider going to Germany and Ontario in the same year I guess I do get around. I did spend plenty of time with family also. It helped that they lived within half an hour of all of the Mississippian sites.  Also got to relax some on my sister's deck. The 14 hour drive from NY each way, however, was a bit extreme. 

IMG_3066.JPG

You've gotta break that drive up into two days. Stop at some sites in WNY or WVa (depending on your travel route).  ;)

Great trip report and it looks like you have some great finds too!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Finds of the trip IMHO. Nice to get some fauna that is rarely found in NY and from rocks that are not at all found in NY!

You've gotta break that drive up into two days. Stop at some sites in WNY or WVa (depending on your travel route).  ;)

Great trip report and it looks like you have some great finds too!

Thanks Dave. Do you know any good marine Carboniferous in West Virginia or Western PA.? That would break up the trip nicely. 

I know some spots. Check your inbox. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 5 months later...

Wow. 

Well, first my jaw dropped after the crinoid head.

Then, it fell off after the thoratic segments.

Really neat finds!

:envy:

I’d have a tough time finding that quality of Isotelus in Ohio!

Amazing trip with great photos. 

Such a wide selection of finds and some of the preservation is extraordinary! 

Love some of the brachiopods to bits! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:46 PM, FossilSniper said:

Wow. 

Well, first my jaw dropped after the crinoid head.

Then, it fell off after the thoratic segments.

Really neat finds!

:envy:

I’d have a tough time finding that quality of Isotelus in Ohio!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed seeing them. Isotelus parts were so abundant at the one site, any given rock might have several. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing trip with great photos. 

Such a wide selection of finds and some of the preservation is extraordinary! 

Love some of the brachiopods to bits! :wub:

Thanks Adam. Came away with a lot of nice Ordovician brachs on that trip. One site they were just popping out of the rock. Wish you could have been there. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Adam. Came away with a lot of nice Ordovician brachs on that trip. One site they were just popping out of the rock. Wish you could have been there. 

So do I ! ! ! !

One day...............................:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived