Jeffrey P

Last week I drove out to Kentucky to spend a week with my family. Of course I also hit the fossil beds. The first day I visited the two Mississippian sites- Wax and Leitchfield that I visited last year. 

Here are some of the highlight finds of that day. First- Wax:

Blastoids and bryozoans:

image1_(198).JPG

image1 (197).JPG

Also some rugose corals coated with bryozoans and a partial crinoid head:

image1 (180).JPG

image1 (210).JPG

And calyxes of the crinoid, Agassizocrinus:

The next I met up with TFF member, Herb. He showed me some Upper Ordovician roadcut sites southeast of Louisville. Brachiopods such as these Vinlanostrophia and Hebertella wer practically leaping out of the rocks. 

image1 (207).JPG

image1 (205).JPG

image1 (204).JPG

NIce! Especially the crinoid head!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Two days later, Herb me to some roadcut sites north of Frankfort. More Ordovician brachiopods. These are Zygospira and Retrorsirosta:

image1 (190).JPG

image1 (189).JPG

image1 (183).JPG

And this Constellaria: Isotelus trilobite parts were extremely plentiful  in a certain layer. I found this thorax: 

image1 (199).JPG

image1 (211).JPG

We also stopped briefly at a roadcut outside Versailles and picked up these Ordovician brachiopods replaced with silica:

image1 (188).JPG

On the last day I visited two more Mississippian sites near Elizabethtown. One site which was right near my parents' had abundant rugose corals: 

image1 (185).JPG

image1_(187).JPG

The last site had numerous very fat crinoid stems:

image1 (195).JPG

image1 (192).JPG

I would like to thank Herb for his tremendous help and great companionship. Another wonderful visit to the Ohio Valley. 

image1 (193).JPG

WOW!!!!!  What an amazing mixture of fossils you've found!!!  I especially like that partial crinoid head - amazing!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Archived