pambosk

the following appears to be a coral, or sponge?  It is not my own find, a friend gifted them to me, he said his fisherman grandpa, found them in the water near the island.  They are heavy-ish, very hard and sound like rocks when hit them with each other and other rocks.  

size: when placed next to each other 10cm x 4cm(to3cm) and 2cm thick.  

Also appart from the obvious shell which looks modern, there is a tiny white pointy edge - snail -like shell with vertical lines all around, and a hole on its side, that could also be fossil, unless that it is supposed to be so white when baby. (photo1 and 2, left piece, top right circle, u can see the  baby shells opening and hole)CORAL2.thumb.JPG.e3c8c2103cebc90545257f536b2800dd.JPG

CORAL1.thumb.JPG.342e3dae4a2f5b65edacb31f5ffc327d.JPG

CORAL33.thumb.JPG.3f74bff7cf3cdd318b253505e730de10.JPG

CORAL4.thumb.JPG.85311f5679506af74ef03b24b5d06b01.JPG

CORAL5.thumb.JPG.016c55945d0e05c27c15ed2834c2490a.JPG

Looks like coral to me. Seems to be Favosites sp? But I'm not an expert so let's see what others say.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes sorry, Cyprus, my friends memory however is not 110% credible. 

Do corals become so heavy and tough when dried? I never touched even a real one just saw them on TV, one would expect that maximum they should feel like wood alive or dead, those sound like marbles when struck together. 

I got another kind also, Coelenterata variety i belive i will post later, same person and location and, the material and color also the same white/grey.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

All corals look anyhow "alike" as all humans do. The material at the Netherland page is not correctly determined; at least the two top images belong to Hexastraea. For correct determination you should look at fine skeletal structures.