pterosaur tooth

gturner333

I obtained the following tooth today and was told that it was a pterosaur, possibly an Ornithocheirus sp. It was found in the Britton formation in Mansfield, TX. Could someone confirm or correctly identify this tooth for me?

The scale hash marks are 1mm.

Thanks for any help.

pterosaur edge.jpg

pterosaur end.jpg

pterosaur side 1.jpg

pterosaur side 2.jpg

Ornithocheirus is only known from extremely fragmentary material from the up, and the two worn teeth on it (and the teeth of others related to it) look different from this, I think it’s safe to rule that out. It does look pterosaur to me but I know little about them, only what I have read. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree that this looks like Pterosaur. It seems fairly similar to the Siroccopteryx teeth found in the Kem Kem beds.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Let me add that Ornithocheirus cuvieri is synonymous with Pterodactylus cuvieri which has gone through several genus changes and material found in this fauna was called that.  So that is why the Ornithocheirus ID was probably attached to your specimen.   

In 2015 with new discoveries a new species was described, Cimoliopterus dunni from the Britton Formation on the north-central Texas, United States.   Both O. cuvieri and P. cuvieri are synonymous with this new species.  There were no teeth recovered with the holotype so we do know what the teeth looked like.  Holotype included an upper and lower jaw.

First North American occurrence of the toothed pteranodontoid pterosaur Cimoliopterus

Timothy S. Myers

Article: e1014904 | Received 14 Dec 2013, Accepted 15 Jan 2015, Published online: 03 Nov 2015

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2015.1014904

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

teeth

Thanks for the confirmation. My research had uncovered the Cimoliopterus  in the Britton formation, but i hadn't connected them together.