DinoMike

Ah, yes... that moment when you're out hunting, lying on a shale outcrop on a VERY chilly morning, hunting Pennsylvanian fossils & wishing you had worn a heavier jacket than just a thin cotton hoodie...

... when suddenly you hear "tick... tick tick... tick..." and wonder "What's that noise?" ... then you realize it's from tiny bits of sleet starting to hit the ground around you.

It got worse fairly quickly, and I had to deal with a 7/10ths of a mile walk back to the car, across a dam, trying to carry my gear & keep my hood low enough across my face that I could still see, without getting nailed in the face by the rather sharp bits of ice raining down.  They were at minimum 1/16th of a inch in diameter, and REALLY stung. Some were even painful through my sleeves!

This was NOT in the forecast!  :wacko:

(I wasn't alone in this misadventure, but am not naming the other person, unless said person wishes to ID themself.)

Ouch, hope you get better weather next time!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Uggh.  :( 

Quick and unexpected weather changes can be deadly or dangerous! 

Luckily, yours was only slightly painful and disappointing due to having to quit hunting. 

Maybe the next trip will make up for it. :) 

Thanks for the post, and reminder of inclement weather problems. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just goes to show that fossil collecting isn't just fun. There's always a certain amount of suffering that goes into building up that impressive collection. Now you'll have more stories to tell. Glad you made it out OK in one piece. 

That made me laugh DinoDan.  Sorry.   Your story reminded me a time back in the 1960's when I was a little 4th grader.  I lived in a small town named Grayland in the state of washington and loved to go to the beach all the time.  I found one of those japanees glass fishing floats that had just been puched up by the waves.  I was as proud as I could be.  While starting to walk home with both arms around this big glass ball, it started to hail.  The hail was bouncing off  the ball and into my face and it hurt.  I went into the dunes adn burried it, waited for dad to get home from work and later retrieved my very special and prized beach find. 

RB

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:40 AM, DinoMike said:

Ah, yes... that moment when you're out hunting, lying on a shale outcrop on a VERY chilly morning, hunting Pennsylvanian fossils & wishing you had worn a heavier jacket than just a thin cotton hoodie...

... when suddenly you hear "tick... tick tick... tick..." and wonder "What's that noise?" ... then you realize it's from tiny bits of sleet starting to hit the ground around you.

It got worse fairly quickly, and I had to deal with a 7/10ths of a mile walk back to the car, across a dam, trying to carry my gear & keep my hood low enough across my face that I could still see, without getting nailed in the face by the rather sharp bits of ice raining down.  They were at minimum 1/16th of a inch in diameter, and REALLY stung. Some were even painful through my sleeves!

This was NOT in the forecast!  :wacko:

(I wasn't alone in this misadventure, but am not naming the other person, unless said person wishes to ID themself.)

Kin Folk said "Jed move away from there" Peace river is the place you oughta be!

It was in the low 60's with wind blowing today! I had to get out of that hypothermic wind and sit in the sun!

On 10/30/2017 at 12:59 AM, Peace river rat said:

Kin Folk said "Jed move away from there" Peace river is the place you oughta be!

It was in the low 60's with wind blowing today! I had to get out of that hypothermic wind and sit in the sun!

I've done my time on the Peace.  :D  Still tracking the elusive mosasaur jaw & Xiphactinus fossils in the North Sulphur River out here.  :D  (Not to mention the goniatite ammonoids from Jacksboro... and the Pennsylvanian shark teeth...  )

20 minutes ago, DinoMike said:

I've done my time on the Peace.  :D  Still tracking the elusive mosasaur jaw & Xiphactinus fossils in the North Sulphur River out here.  :D  (Not to mention the goniatite ammonoids from Jacksboro... and the Pennsylvanian shark teeth...  )

Got no dinosaurs, here (maybe some marine ones? ) Got back out today (warmer) found a good, mako!

7 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Got no dinosaurs, here (maybe some marine ones? ) Got back out today (warmer) found a good, mako!

Awesome! Yep, no accessible dinos in FL. Only fossil found of that age came up in north Florida, in a drilled core sample when the area was being explored as a possible oil source LONG LONG AGO. (It was a Cretaceous turtle, and the drill only got the area from just behind the skull down to about mid-body.)

Archived