Trilobite or something else?

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone! During my trip to Wren's Nest, Dudley, UK with @JohnBrewer and @Barerootbonsai I stumbled across a hash plate with a peculiar specimen. John suggested that it might be a trilobite, but I should post it here. Does anyone else have an idea of what this might be? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I agree with this as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@ynot I found a few other trilobite pieces that same day, but this was the largest. I've never found trilobites before this, so I'm quite thrilled. :D Thank you for the congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up a semi old thread, but can anyone give insight as if this little guy might have more of himself laying under the matrix? The right side looks to be broken up a little. I don't have professional tools, but I have the basics for some prep. Any advise would be welcome, even if it's to leave it alone!

No harm in asking! Judging by the closeup, I don't think there is much more to be had here. There may be no harm in making the attempt, but I'm not seeing this continue into the rock, and since it is an impression, you might end up chipping away any existing impression material. It would, at best, show a ventral view. Of course, that is how I would assess this if it were in my collection, but others may chime in with much more optimistic (and correct) views!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'd leave it be, if you really want to you could maybe remove a little bit from it but as @Kane said, it is not without its risks.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think there is little to be gained and much to be risked from trying to expose this more.  At the most, I would perhaps try using a stiff toothbrush, but I'd stay away from that right hand side.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

and since it is an impression, ...

My question is: Is it a real pygidium or a pygidium imprint/impression?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well done, Wrens Nest is an amazing place. I have a similar specimen, it is doing a dying fly impression as well. Seeing the inside of something is just as good as the outside.

Never ask a starfish for directions

I would say yes prep can be done to expose more of this however you would need to use an air eraser (abraider) at about 25 psi and bi-carb or maybe fine grade dolomite.