JohnBrewer

Here is my small ichthyosaur collection. I keep all my fossils in 19th century draws as it fits with our living room which is a Victorian cabinet of curiosities or Wunderkammer. 

329366AE-C5C9-4ED0-8272-2417D9D9931E.thumb.jpeg.9d08a59e940314504e766ae47fa3a0c9.jpeg

AA6F6B18-B294-4B33-98C8-C49C73133E7B.thumb.jpeg.6c42798e242f84ae346478a68e829043.jpeg

Paddle9506A21F-5C7A-4613-B9E0-5CA3C8CC4BB4.thumb.jpeg.0b60475db68d8b7e185ad34bbde449f3.jpeg

basioccipitalD804530F-83BC-45EF-9A0C-C0799272694A.thumb.jpeg.f77e124a06424c27e56647c0e4800782.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Fantastic collection :envy: 

thanks for showing us .  I love curiosities cabinets I find the idea of opening a draw to view such treasures compelling. I have a really nice but small old wooden engineering tool cabinet that is full to the top with fossils , that's my curiosities cabinet.

really nice fossil John.

cheers Bobby 

Your "small" Ichthyosaurus collection is way bigger than mine. Actually I have none. Congratulations on some excellent specimens nicely displayed. Thanks for sharing. 

Small? Maybe, but not from my perspective. Impressive? Definitely!  I jumped back into fossil collecting a few years ago after reading about Mary Anning, her ichthyosaurs and her "curiosities."   You've put together quite a nice collection in that cabinet of yours, John. Thanks for sharing it.

Plesi-Animation-3080.gif.35bf2a91d63de7f6c5d501457896798c.gif Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Very Nice collection:envy::envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry I'm a bit hard of hearing...what's all this you say about having " itchy sores"?!

Mighty impressive collection you've got there son.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Fascinating creatures they are. A great collection you have.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 10/29/2017 at 5:57 PM, caldigger said:

Sorry I'm a bit hard of hearing...what's all this you say about having " itchy sores"?!

Mighty impressive collection you've got there son.

Itch thee, o sores!

Very nice collection you have there :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

NIce stuff.  I just scanned for the mistake... I am guessing there is a plesiosaur bone in there somewhere misidentified, but that is just a guess.  

On 10/29/2017 at 12:02 PM, JohnBrewer said:

8BC16C18-F28F-4379-858C-84EF17B95CCD.thumb.jpeg.0bb97d2f8028b19f7f18766d3c0cd12e.jpeg

The conical fossils in the top piece look like belemnites rather than icthyosaur pieces. Any other ideas of what the conical pieces might be?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The conical fossils in the top piece look like belemnites rather than icthyosaur pieces. Any other ideas of what the conical pieces might be?

They are belemnites, from a "belemniten schlactfeld"  horizon - all or mostly Dactyloteuthis sp. (Upper Jurassic, Toarcian).

Tarquin

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

They are belemnites but on both matrices there is an ichthyosaur vert. :P

10 minutes ago, TqB said:

They are belemnites, from a "belemniten schlactfeld"  horizon - all or mostly Dactyloteuthis sp. (Upper Jurassic, Toarcian).

Yep. 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

NIce stuff.  I just scanned for the mistake... I am guessing there is a plesiosaur bone in there somewhere misidentified, but that is just a guess.  

Ahem, there’s no misidentification. However....

Great collection John. If you ever decide to sell or trade one of the matrix blocks you have posted let me know. 

54 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Ahem, there’s no misidentification. However....

OK... I will look a little harder...

edit:  I did not see the above replies about belemnites.  I'm not sure if that is the 'mistake' but I was wondering about those as well.  The only other mistake is that you call this a 'small' collection.  I would argue it is bigger than small.  : )

1 minute ago, jpc said:

OK... I will look a little harder...

What I mean is I know the ID so not misidentified. However it shouldn’t have been in that collection. You’re more than warm tho!

4 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Great collection John. If you ever decide to sell or trade one of the matrix blocks you have posted let me know. 

Could do one of the verts with the belemnites @JarrodB. If you’re interested drop me a pm.