JohnBrewer

Just a thought... maybe some/one of the fossils are not from the localities that are listed as tags (below) on the original post. If so, a real expert will have to figure it out, not me. 

UK, Lyme Regis, Charmouth, Whitby, Penarth

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I'll add my guess as to the mistake, maybe the coprolites are not from an ichthyosaur?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Just a thought... maybe some/one of the fossils are not from the localities that are listed as tags (below) on the original post. If so, a real expert will have to figure it out, not me. 

UK, Lyme Regis, Charmouth, Whitby, Penarth

While that is true as two are German that’s not the blatant error I made. :D

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I'll add my guess as to the mistake, maybe the coprolites are not from an ichthyosaur?

Nope :P

That wood of the drawer looks rather new. It might not be 19th century as stated.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I can only see one actual paddle bone on the "paddle" - the rest of it is humerus and girdle (coracoid, scapula, clavicle).

Tarquin

Hi John if you keep all your fossil in 19 century draws . What else makes up your cabinet of curiositys ? Did you mean you keep mostly your Ichthyosaurs fossil in 19 century draws?

cheers Bobby 

18 minutes ago, TqB said:

I can only see one actual paddle bone on the "paddle" - the rest of it is humerus and girdle (coracoid, scapula, clavicle).

Well spotted. But not the answer I’m looking for Tarquin. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi John if you keep all your fossil in 19 century draws . What else makes up your cabinet of curiositys ? Did you mean you keep mostly your Ichthyosaurs fossil in 19 century draws?

cheers Bobby 

All sorts of bizarre things. Early 20th C/late 19th C wet preserved fauna, some dry preserved fauna (not your regular stuffed rabbits/foxes/pigeons &c tho), various medical instruments, a human skull, a fab 1950’s eye teaching model, a very rare Momento Mori Daguerreotype of a baby (some people find this bad taste/immoral but I put 19th C values on it not 21st C values so I have no problem. Tons of other things. Maybe I’ll post pics in the diversions forum of the less controversial things. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Wow ok . Yes I would like too see some of your curiosity indeed. Have you ever been to The Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities in Hackney ? I think you may like it . I did get some nice things out of a skip at work last year, a great 1950s school science poster of a chicken’s workings , bell jars and different science clamps and stands, an old ostrich egg and a sharks head . But all are not so interesting as yours sound. 

Cheers bobby

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

That wood of the drawer looks rather new. It might not be 19th century as stated.

It’s actually an early 20th C haberdashery set of drawers :) we collect cabinets from late 18th c/19th c/up to mid 20th c. 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow ok . Yes I would like too see some of your curiosity indeed. Have you ever been to The Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities in Hackney ? I think you may like . I did get some nice things out of a skip at work last year, a great 1950s school science poster of a chicken’s workings , bell jars and different science clamps and stands, an old ostrich egg and a sharks head . But all not so interesting as yours sound. 

Cheers bobby

I know the museum, it used to be a ship up until a couple of years ago. Victor (not his real name surprise suprise) I’ve met a couple of times. Mad as a box full of monkeys. A guy called Vadim Cosmos who dressed like Richard O’Brian and had similar statue would open it up. Obvious that wasn’t his real name either! They had a great sign outside the shop saying something like this is not a shops of ill repute to put it in terms the forum would find acceptable. It was better as a shop imho but once I spent £1000 there. I have an understanding wife. I occasionally work in Hackney.

Didn’t know you were British Bobby. 

Yeah he is nuts. And I think he got a box of monkeys too. Yeah I live in Leicestershire . Your house sounds fantastic. 

20 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

All sorts of bizarre things. Early 20th C/late 19th C wet preserved fauna, some dry preserved fauna (not your regular stuffed rabbits/foxes/pigeons &c tho), various medical instruments, a human skull, a fab 1950’s eye teaching model, a very rare Momento Mori Daguerreotype of a baby (some people find this bad taste/immoral but I put 19th C values on it not 21st C values so I have no problem. Tons of other things. Maybe I’ll post pics in the diversions forum of the less controversial things. :) 

That sounds like an amazing cabinet! I hope you do post photos of it in the diversions forum. 

Back to the elusive mistake - how about the post title says "Ichthyosaurus" but that's only one genus of ichthyosaur and several of these could be something else ( e.g Temnodontosaurus)?

Tarquin

One chunk almost definitely is Temnodontosaurus, looks like it is a dredged specimen same as the bits I have

Nice collection John!

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

pretty much got the answer right but which picture?

It is the picture that does not show an ichthyosaurus bone.:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 3 weeks later...

John

Nice collection of Ichthyosaur makes me want to go out collecting but getting a bit too hot down my end of the world.

Also tells me I should start prepping some of the material I have at home at the moment.

Mike