proboscidean tooth

garyc

After a recent post by new member Kyen I decided to post this tooth I found a while back on the Colorado River, TX. I assumed it to be mastodon, but after looking at pics that @Harry Pristis posted, I would like to know if this could be senile gomph chunk? 

DSCN0193.JPG

DSCN0194.JPG

Thanks Harry! That's a first for me! Guess I should always double check here instead of assuming I already know. I think gomph is not a common find in Texas. @Uncle Siphuncle Have you found gomph here in Tx?

Yup.  Just 1, bout 2/3 complete.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

NIce find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Yup.  Just 1, bout 2/3 complete.

8 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

NIce find!

3 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Nice find Gary :)

Thanks, y'all!

GO 'STROS!!!!!!!!

Definitely gomphothere, maybe Cuvieronius.

"Cuvieronius is a New World gomphothere known from the Pliocene-Pleistocene of North America and the Pleistocene of Central and South America (e.g., Dudley, 1996; Lambert, 1996; Lambert and Shoshani, 1998; Prado et al., 2005). Cuvieronius is generally considered closely related to or derived from the Pliocene gomphothere Rhynchotherium in North America and to have spread to Central and South America during the Pleistocene (e.g., Tobien, 1973; Kurtén and Anderson, 1980; Webb and Perrigo, 1984; Miller, 1990; Dudley, 1996). In North America, Cuvieronius records are known across Mexico (e.g., Montellano-Ballesteros, 2002; Alberdi and Corona-M., 2005) and in the southern United States in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Florida (e.g., Kurtén and Anderson, 1980; Dalquest and Schultz, 1992; Webb and Dudley, 1995; Lucas et al., 1999, 2000; Hulbert, 2001; Vance, 2002; Bell et al., 2004; Lucas and Morgan, 2005). "

S. G. Lucas et al., eds., 2008. Cuvieronius (Mammalia, Proboscidea) from the Neogene of Florida. Neogene Mammals. New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 44.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library