Can Green River thin slabs be cut with house tools?

-Andy-

As above. I am considering getting a Green River fossil. The slab is much bigger than the fossil, so I intend to cut it down. However, the seller declined to cut it, saying it was a thin slab, and he feared cracking into the actual fossil.

Has anyone here done prep work on GR fossils? Can I use a hand saw, knives, or scissors to cut down thin-slab Green River fossils? Or are there other methods you would recommend?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I've never tried cutting rocks myself (except shaving off tiny bits with a Dremel 1-inch cutting wheel; that works if you want to remove small amounts without concern for the integrity of said small amounts), but scissors sounds like a quick way to shatter the whole slab!

Edited to add: I'd try a hacksaw, personally, cutting well away from the fossil and not trying to go too fast. Take it slow, and watch how the slab reacts. If you see cracks developing, STOP!

Someone else may have a more experienced answer.Good luck!

If you don't happen to have a tile saw, another possibility would be to use a straightedge and a sharp and sturdy razor knife to make grooves on both sides and around the edges. Then lay the plate on a table with the grooves exactly aligned with the edge of the table and give it a few gentle taps with a rubber hammer while pressing down on the part of the plate (fossil side down) which is still on the table.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

What is the thickness of the slab you are trying to cut.  

@FossilDudeCO

I do not know. The seller said nothing besides it being too thin for him to risk cutting. I've looked through all his pictures and the only picture hinting at the thinness is this:

Capture.JPG.6e323c21274905958b76008b58932d4f.JPG

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Looks like some fairly good rock, meaning I dont think it is from the 'split fish' layers.  This rock looks a bit harder than that.  if it does have a developing split, you can always glue it up with some watered down white glue or some thin super glue.  Then it would be safer for cutting.  A hand saw can and has been used by me, but the teeth on the saw will not last long.   I sometimes use an angle grinder with a 4 inch diamond blade, and very cheap at Harbor freight, but very dusty when cutting but also does a very fast job of it too.  Good luck

RB

I had the thrill of collecting in the Green River fish  layer this summer. I found a simple hacksaw blade worked great to trim pieces under 1 inch in thickness without the dust of a grinder  . Cut 3/4ths of the way through and then a light tap creates a clean break. If you prefer an "unfinished edge", cut from the back side of the plate. If you like the look of a cut edge, come at it from the front side. Enjoy the beauty of these fish!!

Mike

If you want to be sure not to ruin the fossil, I would consider to reinforce the slab with plywood first (and then cut it).

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Archived