Petrified Wood?

Kscott

Very new to the fossil game and i need some help. Think i came to the right place! Found this on a hike in SE Alaska and i think its petrified wood. Thoughts? Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to The Fossil Forum.

Are the photos from 2 different rocks?

In the first photo, send us photos of the parts at the top and the bottom (by the ruler), looking end on. What I see now looks more like a flow banded volcanic rock such as rhyolite. The bands are wavey and are irregular in width. Vugs are present which are either bubbles or where a crystal fell out during erosion.

Additional more clearly focused photos will help us decide whether this is wood or not.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I agree with geological.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thank you all for the replies. All the photos are the same rock. Based on the first photo from the original post, the second is of the top side (non-ruler side).

This additional is of the right side based on the first. Hope that helps

image.jpg

Archived