Georgia Trilobites - SITE OFF LIMITS NOW

Nimravis

Excellent detective work! From the sounds of things, there are very legitimate concerns. There may even be the possibility of hashing out a workable agreement between the County, collectors, and property owners. 

One possibility would be to consider the compromise gesture of limiting access to the site by date and group. For instance, allowing recognized club-affiliated members to have exclusive collecting access to the site on pre-agreed times of the year, limiting the numbers of said groups and agreeing to abide by ethical use of the site (no digging under the bridge, no littering, etc.). The club organizer would in essence vet the collectors and have them agree to the site rules, providing assurances to the County and property owners that the site will be treated with utmost respect, no trespassing on private property, that proper arrangements would be made in terms of transit to the site to ensure not too many vehicles creating problems with access, etc.

Having this kind of permit / "controlled access" situation may help to build goodwill with property owners. If only the "good apples" appear on site at the scheduled dates, anyone else outside of those dates would be told they cannot collect there without being affiliated with the recognized trip organizer.

Having a plan for site management and sustainability would definitely be helpful, and to prevent over-collecting and exacerbating issues with erosion. Limiting access in terms of numbers and frequency of visits may help here.

Being proactive on this may result in dividends and keep the site accessible to collectors, as opposed to the existing alternative of a blanket ban.  

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

26 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Of course, if you wish to contact Barnes for more info, his number is: 706-517-5554. Also, I didn't think of this while I was mid-call, but PLEASE invite him for discussion onto TFF. This would probably help our case immensely.

Edit: Kane said it all.

Thanks Jared for finding out what is going on. If you belong to a local paleontology or rock and gem society you might considered having them (presidents?) also talk to Barnes. Maybe they could let the societies collect on certain days if they agree to abide by a code of ethics.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Having this kind of permit / "controlled access" situation may help to build goodwill with property owners. If only the "good apples" appear on site at the scheduled dates, anyone else outside of those dates would be told they cannot collect there without being affiliated with the recognized trip organizer.

This sounds like an idea. would the organizer be someone like PAG?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

15 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

This sounds like an idea. would the organizer be someone like PAG?

Yes. Also, see if there are other problem collecting areas that the PAG can help with and let collectors know about the rules and proper conduct.

Paleontology Association of Georgia: https://paleoassocga.weebly.com/

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

39 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

1: Some bad apples have been trespassing onto other's properties (as in straight up going into other people's yards during trips w/o permission). This has caused the owners there to get fed up about chasing said bad apples off.

The one time we visited, there were plenty of indications folks go under the bridge to "party" so to speak.  I'm more inclined to think those are the folks trespassing vs. fossil collectors.

Just now, DPS Ammonite said:

Paleontological Association of Georgia: https://paleoassocga.weebly.com/

Here are the emails for President and Vice president:

VP: hnjoseypharmd@gmail.com

Pres: ashley.quinn@gcsu.edu 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hate to say it, but the clock has been ticking on this site since people started posting detailed directions here in the Forum and elsewhere on line.  I said a few years ago that the site is small and cannot withstand a lot of collecting pressure.  Now it is off limits, and there is no replacement that compares in terms of ease of access or abundance of trilobites.  Also it was the only site to expose that particular part of the Conasauga and that particular assemblage of trilobite species.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

• 11 months later...

DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!

This site is totally off limits. You will receive a criminal trespass ticket if you go here. So many people have been damaging the grounds under and around the bridge that the land owner can not allow any further damage to the area. He is a very nice and understanding gentleman but he has to protect his property.

Don't Go here!

What a shame what has happened to this site :shakehead:

And it was on my bucket list too! Darn! I suppose we have to live vicariously through these old reports.

On a more positive note I hadn't seen this thread before, great finds @Nimravis !

My young kids and I went to find some trilobites at this location today.  When we arrived, multiple warning signs and "no parking" signs were up at most of the areas to park. After reading the warning signs I figured, with some hesitation, we can go down and look and possibly collect a few samples from the surface since we did drive 2 hours.  I did not bring a pick or any other tools for digging.  After about 15 minutes or so I decided to go back to the truck to leave. The kids got in and before I could get in I saw a guy back off of the road in a front yard, I assume the land owner from the south west side of the bridge.  I then saw a Murray County Deputy pull up. Luckily we did not walk through the man's yard, nor did i get a chance to speak with the man, had an angry look on his face though.  He spoke with the deputy and the deputy spoke with me. In short, the man took pictures of us as proof, but no trespassing was done.  In short I believe 4 people were issued citations before we arrived today.  I don't know the exact law about picking up loose rocks but it is better to look at pics than to fight a citation.

Just a warning, please help others know about this on other forums and websites so many won't travel far to see warning signs and have to turn around.       

Tims Bridge Warning Sign.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

On 9/7/2020 at 12:23 PM, Shanedmorris said:

DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!

This site is totally off limits. You will receive a criminal trespass ticket if you go here. So many people have been damaging the grounds under and around the bridge that the land owner can not allow any further damage to the area. He is a very nice and understanding gentleman but he has to protect his property.

Don't Go here!

I believe in following the law, not trespassing and not damaging property. Please someone post a picture of the sign that prohibits trespassing by the bridge and in the river so all know that this is the law and hopefully they will not come to the area.

Bmcalis showed a sign that prohibits digging and excavating but not trespassing. If you are allowed in the buffer or right of way that will make it more difficult for the land owner and law enforcement efforts.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:16 PM, Bmcalis said:In short, the man took pictures of us as proof, but no trespassing was done.  In short I believe 4 people were issued citations before we arrived today.  I don't know the exact law about picking up loose rocks but it is better to look at pics than to fight a citation.

Tims Bridge Warning Sign.jpg

If anyone wants the 'chapter and verse' of the law, they can contact the local authorities HERE.

There is enough anecdotal evidence, in addition to the post of a local authority, to understand there will be legal issues for anyone trying to collect there.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Georgia Trilobites - SITE OFF LIMITS NOW