Georgia Trilobites - SITE OFF LIMITS NOW

Nimravis

Awesome finds! Hope it doesn't get exhausted before I can get a chance to sample it.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

3 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Awesome finds! Hope it doesn't get exhausted before I can get a chance to sample it.

Sounds like we need a roadtrip to Georgia! :P 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool finds.  Interesting that the mudstone is stable though.  The material looks very similar to what we find in Virginia.  When the Virginia material dries out (over days/weeks) it starts to flake/crack etc...  I've had luck stabilizing though with a light application of Elmers glue mixed with water though.  Just mix up a 50/50 or so solution and brush on and let dry.  It dries clear and solves the flaking issues but occasionally not the cracking if it's a really thick piece.  You may want to give it a try if you notice your pieces starting to flake/crack.

It is such a cool spot. I was there during hurricane Irma, stuck in Atlanta with nothing to do, I had a great time. I plan to stop to pick up some unsplit pieces on my way to Michigan this month. Almost every piece you split has a trilobite or part in it. AND the mudstone is soooo smooth and gorgeous. It looks like grey silk. I am so glad other people thiink this is a special place. Just to see the hillside layers is a marvel in itself. Congrates. 

• I found this Informative 1

:trilosurprise: Wow, those are beautiful. Thanks for the photos under the bridge. It looks like a fun and rewarding place to collect. I'd love to get there someday.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

If you inspect each piece carefully (a loupe or binocular microscope helps) you may find some agnostid trilobites.  I have a few complete ones from that site, but most are heads or tails (which look quite similar).  They are not nearly as abundant as the Aphelaspis but they are a nice surprise when they show up.

Don

Thanks Don I will have to do that with these, I believe I found some the last time that I was out there.

6 hours ago, Shamalama said:

I really do not think that you have to worry about that .

5 hours ago, hokiehunter said:

Very cool finds.  Interesting that the mudstone is stable though.  The material looks very similar to what we find in Virginia.  When the Virginia material dries out (over days/weeks) it starts to flake/crack etc...  I've had luck stabilizing though with a light application of Elmers glue mixed with water though.  Just mix up a 50/50 or so solution and brush on and let dry.  It dries clear and solves the flaking issues but occasionally not the cracking if it's a really thick piece.  You may want to give it a try if you notice your pieces starting to flake/crack.

I have trilobites from that location that are over a year old and they are the same as when I found them. 

5 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

It is such a cool spot. I was there during hurricane Irma, stuck in Atlanta with nothing to do, I had a great time. I plan to stop to pick up some unsplit pieces on my way to Michigan this month. Almost every piece you split has a trilobite or part in it. AND the mudstone is soooo smooth and gorgeous. It looks like grey silk. I am so glad other people thiink this is a special place. Just to see the hillside layers is a marvel in itself. Congrates. 

I totally agree with you on everything that you said – the are really abundant and the feel of the matrix is like a sheet of glass.

33 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

:trilosurprise: Wow, those are beautiful. Thanks for the photos under the bridge. It looks like a fun and rewarding place to collect. I'd love to get there someday.

Yes, you would really like it there. Just one thing to remember, there are really only is parking for one car. You could fit other cars there but if somebody’s there before you, and they did not leave enough room, you will not be able to park there or anywhere near that area. So word to the wise, is to get there very early, preferably on a weekday. I had no problem yesterday, I had the whole place to myself.. I had no problem yesterday, I had the whole place to myself.

@JarrodB, @JohnBrewer Thanks for the comments.

18 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sounds like we need a roadtrip to Georgia! :P 

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 11/1/2017 at 7:33 AM, RJB said:

Nice little bugs,,,, but I wish I had your photography skills.

RB

I phone and thumb– lol..

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi Ralph the Georgia trilobites got off you was they from this site? @Nimravis

Cheers Bobby 

That is correct Bobby.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2017 at 11:41 AM, FossilDAWG said:

If you inspect each piece carefully (a loupe or binocular microscope helps) you may find some agnostid trilobites.  I have a few complete ones from that site, but most are heads or tails (which look quite similar).  They are not nearly as abundant as the Aphelaspis but they are a nice surprise when they show up.

Don

Here's a piece of Glytagnostus reticulatus. Tough to photograph (flat bed scan) at 5mm.

glyptagnostus reticulatus.jpg

and another tiny one (Aphelaspis?) inside a shed cephalon? 3mm. My son collected the material and both grandsons found the specimens.

aphelaspis.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice! :wub: Glyptagnostus reticulatus is an important biozone marker, occurring in a narrow time interval in the Late Cambrian at sites worldwide.  I have a couple of pieces like yours, but I've yet to find a complete articulated specimen.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

@FossilDAWG I know you mentioned it before and @Plax thanks for posting your pics. @piranha what do you think? I just checked a couple specimens and think I have a couple Glyptagnostus reticulatus (Arrow below) and I have probably tossed a number in the past, I need to go back and check all of my pieces. This spot is really a great place for trilobites as shown by the ones below.

IMG_8987.thumb.jpg.0ebbd87c87879d6a4795f55184425ab1.jpgIMG_8986.thumb.jpg.47e6bb6eadd4600b74fd6751b228d1de.jpg

IMG_8979.thumb.jpg.5b6f85fcff764dde2feb065be7b240d4.jpgIMG_8980.thumb.jpg.8b9c746e17cc2095e46e45b052492c17.jpgIMG_8981.thumb.jpg.264fa5f06d3fc92f847b10a9bfab1962.jpgIMG_8982.thumb.jpg.c6dc6e47070d7e462c7d31cea13b8f78.jpg

IMG_8983.jpg

it's deceiving to look at pictures of some of these (mine). In the pic of Aphelaspis with the tiny one in the cephalon the large specimen is an impression and the tiny one a positive specimen. It certainly looks the other way around to me and I posted the pic!

16 minutes ago, Plax said:

it's deceiving to look at pictures of some of these (mine). In the pic of Aphelaspis with the tiny one in the cephalon the large specimen is an impression and the tiny one a positive specimen. It certainly looks the other way around to me and I posted the pic!

I know what you mean- some pics I post do not look as good as when I take them.

I really like the hues in both the Georgia trilobites and the mud rock matrix . I treasure the couple I  own. I have had the Georgia Trilobite on my mind .