Georgia Trilobites - SITE OFF LIMITS NOW

Nimravis

On 12/13/2017 at 7:01 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Nice! :wub: Glyptagnostus reticulatus is an important biozone marker, occurring in a narrow time interval in the Late Cambrian at sites worldwide.  I have a couple of pieces like yours, but I've yet to find a complete articulated specimen.

Don

Don I checked a few more pieces last night, and so far this very little guy is a close to complete that I have- I have a lot more to check.

46545F16-08FB-4934-B6B6-9C24C2B043C9.thumb.jpeg.1700a48dcb43bd4dc355a3f292d4c395.jpeg

Scale Shot

85634759-0988-42AE-AFBE-86FA5748AD4E.thumb.jpeg.32f2696341ec7e64844202d29c515ac7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 2:05 PM, Nimravis said:

I did not think that I was going to have time to hunt Georgia Cambrian trilobites – Aphelaspis brachyphasis from the Conasauga Formation, but I did find a couple hours to collect. So this morning I left at  7 AM and drove one and a half hours to Murray County, Georgia to collect at a small exposure on the Consssuga River. It was a cold morning, 31°, even by my Chicago standards for October. 

The purpose for this visit visit was to gather some matrix for winter work. If you have a chance to visit this site, besides being abundant , many of your finds will have multiple trilobites on the mudstone. 

Below are a couple pics of the area, as well as some of the trilobites that I found. 

Somebody else went to that site? Was wondering when I'd see the day.

I've made 3 trips to that spot myself, found quite a few goodies there (including a very detailed Aphelaspis Brachyphasis from my first trip to the site, by far my best invert in the collection). Pics related:

Positive (had a small crack when extracted, but its been solidified now):

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.369a5a9e4436caab05405835c0e7d1bb.jpg

Negative:

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg.ee966a8b53c83ac46b7366861abe7e74.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:43 AM, Kane said:

Well done, Ralph! I know I'd love to get my hands on some of that matrix. It does look very soft. Do you have to stabilize it after splitting to prevent it from drying out and cracking?

When it dries it's pretty sturdy. The only places it really comes apart are the natural fault lines (which can split and reveal more trilos at home!).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

One of the things I like about this site is the accessibility (at least for me). This site isn't even 2 hours away from where I live (I live in Atl).

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

One of the things I like about this site is the accessibility (at least for me). This site isn't even 2 hours away from where I live (I live in Atl).

That is great, except if someone is already parked there. 

12 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

That is great, except if someone is already parked there. 

Eh, most of the time we go there nobody else is there. Even when there was somebody we had enough room to squeeze on in.

• I found this Informative 1

• 5 months later...

Thanks for sharing this site!  I've always wanted to hunt trilobites and couldn't imagine it being much easier than this.  I took the family there Friday.  We had the place to ourselves and spent a couple hours collecting and actually found a few complete specimens with plenty of material still left to work through.  For anyone visiting in the warmer months, bring bug spray and do a thorough tick check afterward.  My daughter found one crawling up her leg.

Is the consensus this material doesn't need anything to stabilize it?

I'll share some pics later.

Thanks again!

39 minutes ago, mcluvin said:

I do not use anything.

4 hours ago, mcluvin said:

Thanks for sharing this site!  I've always wanted to hunt trilobites and couldn't imagine it being much easier than this.  I took the family there Friday.  We had the place to ourselves and spent a couple hours collecting and actually found a few complete specimens with plenty of material still left to work through.  For anyone visiting in the warmer months, bring bug spray and do a thorough tick check afterward.  My daughter found one crawling up her leg.

I'll share some pics later.

Thanks again!

If you have specimens with actual exoskeleton present (rather than just positive and / or negative impressions), they are extremely delicate and liable to flake off. With the ones that I have that still have the exoskeleton present, I dip a fine paint brush in PVA and touch it to the margin of the exoskeleton and allow it to  wick up in between the exoskeleton and the matrix.  You can actually see it wick, as the exoskeleton is somewhat translucent.  This will adhere and stabilize.  The exoskeleton in these is grey in color as shown here.

20180206_223845.thumb.jpg.87e2bd7cb0cb7316372eb9dc05c261e0.jpg

Resized_20180205_225942.thumb.jpeg.fb092126657757d614ba1f3a8502cd36.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

• 3 months later...
On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Sounds like we need a roadtrip to Georgia! :P 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, dalmayshun said:

It is such a cool spot. I was there during hurricane Irma, stuck in Atlanta with nothing to do, I had a great time. I plan to stop to pick up some unsplit pieces on my way to Michigan this month. Almost every piece you split has a trilobite or part in it. AND the mudstone is soooo smooth and gorgeous. It looks like grey silk. I am so glad other people thiink this is a special place. Just to see the hillside layers is a marvel in itself. Congrates. 

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:38 AM, Pagurus said:

:trilosurprise: Wow, those are beautiful. Thanks for the photos under the bridge. It looks like a fun and rewarding place to collect. I'd love to get there someday.

I shime in late in this post, but i think i also should have a trip there.:wub:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I was shown this site/post/everything after talking with a random stranger on a pokemon site about my <3 for Trilobites. I am actually 2hrs from that site you visited and would love some advise for a first time person EAGER to get at some!

11 minutes ago, orbwhisper said:

So I was shown this site/post/everything after talking with a random stranger on a pokemon site about my <3 for Trilobites. I am actually 2hrs from that site you visited and would love some advise for a first time person EAGER to get at some!

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Basically, you go to the site, under the bridge, and start taking rock out of the exposure. 

A screwdriver or chisel may be needed to pry pieces out. 

See the first post in this topic.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, orbwhisper said:

Ditto @Fossildude19 . 

As an add-on, bring some water-resistant boots with you, especially when the river's higher to avoid getting too wet. In the winter time I've noticed that the river tends to be lower, even exposing some usually inaccessible portions of the site that were underwater in the summer.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Gaver said:

@Nimravis

Could you post a few pictures of your finds after you have completed your treatment and preparations please?

G

Gaver, 

Fyi- I do not do any treatment to these fossils. If I split the matrix with a hammer and come across a piece that I want to keep, I use a hacksaw to cut the matrix down to the size I want and I put the fossil in a container with other trilobites. This is my preferred way to find them since the matrix is usually thicker.

When I soak the matrix to split by finger, I do it with pieces that I have already hit with a hammer, and that are smaller and I can not get a good hammer strike on them. And when I use the hammer, it is only a light tap, this matrix splits very easily, but smaller pieces do not. I soak the smaller pieces for 10-15 minutes in hot water, but you can also leave them overnight, but the short time works just as well.  I then split the pieces using my fingers and if I find trilobites, I place it on a piece of paper towel and let it dry. Once these pieces are dried, they are as if I never soaked them. I will then use the saw to cut them down, the only issue with soaking pieces of matrix is that they can become very thin and are harder to handle and can break.

That is the full process that I follow- I know some members put something on pieces that have exoskeletons, but I do not.

Hope this answers your question.

20 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Gaver, 

Fyi- I do not do any treatment to these fossils. If I split the matrix with a hammer and come across a piece that I want to keep, I use a hacksaw to cut the matrix down to the size I want and I put the fossil in a container with other trilobites. This is my preferred way to find them since the matrix is usually thicker.

When I soak the matrix to split by finger, I do it with pieces that I have already hit with a hammer, and that are smaller and I can not get a good hammer strike on them. And when I use the hammer, it is only a light tap, this matrix splits very easily, but smaller pieces do not. I soak the smaller pieces for 10-15 minutes in hot water, but you can also leave them overnight, but the short time works just as well.  I then split the pieces using my fingers and if I find trilobites, I place it on a piece of paper towel and let it dry. Once these pieces are dried, they are as if I never soaked them. I will then use the saw to cut them down, the only issue with soaking pieces of matrix is that they can become very thin and are harder to handle and can break.

That is the full process that I follow- I know some members put something on pieces that have exoskeletons, but I do not.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the explanation and sharing your process @Nimravis

• 9 months later...

Sad News...as is so often the case, another superb fossil collecting site has been deemed off limits due to the efforts of an adjoining property owner. Apparently the landowner to the south had grown tired of the trilo-hunting activity and had the town post signage under the bridge. The roughly 2 by 3 foot signs state that any digging, excavating, or placing of material in the river is forbidden. On my last visit to the site, I was surface collecting (taking care not to dig, excavate, or otherwise disturb the riverbank) when the adjoining landowner showed up and asked if I hadn't read the new signs. I assured him that I was doing no digging. He then insisted that I leave and that he had already contacted law enforcement. Just fyi...

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Back2Baculites said:

Sad News...as is so often the case, another superb fossil collecting site has been deemed off limits due to the efforts of an adjoining property owner. Apparently the landowner to the south had grown tired of the trilo-hunting activity and had the town post signage under the bridge. The roughly 2 by 3 foot signs state that any digging, excavating, or placing of material in the river is forbidden. On my last visit to the site, I was surface collecting (taking care not to dig, excavate, or otherwise disturb the riverbank) when the adjoining landowner showed up and asked if I hadn't read the new signs. I assured him that I was doing no digging. He then insisted that I leave and that he had already contacted law enforcement. Just fyi...

Ugh. Now I really do have to travel the ends of the world to find Cambrian trilos.

Also, images of the signs?

This is a shame and a travesty. I wonder what made this local so dead-set against anyone collecting fossils there, even just picking up loose bits, and persuaded the local council to post the signs, and threaten anyone who shows up there with calling the cops. It doesn't sound like this person is reasonable. Were fossil collectors making a nuisance somehow, such as littering or damaging stuff?

If it were me, and I saw that the sign only forbade digging/excavating or "placing of material in the river", I would stand my ground, and say "fine go ahead and call the cops". What can they do? If you weren't digging, or dumping anything, then you weren't breaking any law, right? And it doesn't completely bar access?

(I'm not recommending anyone else try this, just that I would.)

That is definitely very sad news, and seems to be the way of things. :( 

All the same, if a police officer tells you to move along, best to move along.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ok, so I just now talked to Dickie Barnes, the Director of the Land Use Department for Murray County regarding the legality issues revolving around this site now, and I was able to get some good info at what's been going on. My 2 main takeaways as far as grievances:

1: Some bad apples have been trespassing onto other's properties (as in straight up going into other people's yards during trips w/o permission). This has caused the owners there to get fed up about chasing said bad apples off.

2: There has been some excessive digging at the site, resulting in increased erosion. This is already a problem in itself, but as some people have been digging directly under the bridge itself, this could cause a particular hazard as far as undermining the structural integrity of the bridge.

As I am quite attached (and I know most of the people listening into this thread are), I also asked him if there were things we could possible do to keep access to the site open for the average good-faith fossil hunter. For this, I also have two takeaways:

1. Please please PLEASE contact the property owners and fly it by them first before you even try to show up (he provided me with a website to look up property records: qpublic.net).

2. We as a community need to come up with methods and guidelines to help keep the severity of erosion at Tibbs Bridge to a minimum and actively follow said guidelines.

Of course, if you wish to contact Barnes for more info, his number is: 706-517-5554. Also, I didn't think of this while I was mid-call, but PLEASE invite him for discussion onto TFF. This would probably help our case immensely.

• I found this Informative 4

11 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Ok, so I just now talked to Dickie Barnes, the Director of the Land Use Department for Murray County regarding the legality issues revolving around this site now, and I was able to get some good info at what's been going on. My 2 main takeaways as far as grievances:

You might post this over in the other thread about the Legality of the Tibbs Bridge site

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me