need help identifying my embryo fossil.

craigers33

People keep telling me that this is just jasper, but I believe that it is a fossilized embryo. I can see the face and bone structure clear as day, and the texture of the skin cannot be mistaken. I need some professional opinions and criticism.

Not a pro, but a well versed neophyte, not seeing it. IMHO, you have found a nice rock. I could be wrong, I will follow this thread.

Welcome to TFF! From Bone valley, Fl!

Definitely not a vertebrate fossil, specifically not an embryo.  This is a piece of rock, although there might be some fossils inside; shell imprints/crinoid stems/corals/bryozoans can explain skin-like patterns. However better photos are required for identification, I don't see anything in this rocks as of now.

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

I think the people are right about calling it jasper. It certainly is not an embryo. Although the photos are somewhat blurry, I can see no bones. What you think could be a face is probably a result of pareidolia. If you would however still like to have a professional opinion on it, then I would suggest you take it to the nearest natural science museum.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Not a vertebrate and definitely not an embryo, sorry. Seems to be a nice piece of Jasper.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I have many rocks that look like they have various things inside. The phenomenon is called pareidolia.  IMHO, they are just as fun as fossils. Here are a few of mine. What do you see?

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

IMG_7419.JPG

Nicely, polished, cut stone :) and a panda bear!

4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I have many rocks that look like they have various things inside. The phenomenon is called pareidolia.  IMHO, they are just as fun as fossils. Here are a few of mine. What do you see?

IMG_3458.JPG

My favorite one. Is this a "Pooh Bear"? @GeschWhat

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi craigers33...

I am a professional and I agree with the others. No fossil there, just a chunk of chert/jasper.  There is no bone texture or shape anywhere.  

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

My favorite one. Is this a "Pooh Bear"? @GeschWhat

Beat me to it. Winnie the Pooh! I’ve genuinely played Pooh sticks on the real Pooh bridge. I used to live near where A A Milne lived in Sussex, UK. 

@ynot knows his minerals, he might be able to help

Very cool @JohnBrewer. I have always been a Pooh fan. My youngest's name is Whitney, so I used to call her Whitney the Pooh or Pooh Bear. The fun thing about the "Pooh Bear" slab is it was sold as a piece of coprolite from the Morrison Formation. Although, the coprolite identification is dubious at best...it is still a fun piece of pooh. . 

Did anyone see the baby hand or turtle head?

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

@ynot knows his minerals, he might be able to help

Everyone else has already said it is a piece of jasper and not a fossil. I did not think I could add anything to that.

I will add that there is no such thing as "just" a rock, every rock has a story and most are pretty interesting.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

13 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Very cool @JohnBrewer. I have always been a Pooh fan. My youngest's name is Whitney, so I used to call her Whitney the Pooh or Pooh Bear. The fun thing about the "Pooh Bear" slab is it was sold as a piece of coprolite from the Morrison Formation. Although, the coprolite identification is dubious at best...it is still a fun piece of pooh. . 

Did anyone see the baby hand or turtle head?

I did but just made Me wonder why they have not been added to this thread...

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I've merged your posts. There is no need for a second one. :) 

As others have stated, (with their many years of experience behind their opinions) this is an agate or chert rock. 

No fossil embryo to be found. 

If our answers do not meet your satisfaction, I suggest you take it to the nearest museum or university paleontology department.

Kind Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

This topic has been locked. 
We wish the Original Poster the best of luck with identifying his rock. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me