Carboniferous Fossils from Bama.

Rockin' Ric

Not as spectacular as previous plant fossil finds. Here are a few specimens from last Tuesday's hunt, consisting of Maropteris and Neuropteris fern frond, Lepidostrobus, Trigoncarpus, Coal crusted Calamites Stem and Fern Rachis. 

Pf1.thumb.jpg.62b995938c35bee5c65c147cfc0e1a06.jpgPF2.thumb.jpg.1e19cecae7da8da33b9f83cfcb138e91.jpgPf3.thumb.jpg.2318510db3abf76fcb110c880e61bd02.jpgPf4.thumb.jpg.763e8ff3bb8b869074d8df180529f30b.jpgpf5.thumb.jpg.eed9d70cca22291a2b45489070beb539.jpgPf6.thumb.jpg.82c714d1908fea055bcb632294d859aa.jpgPf7.thumb.jpg.56e446e9a5bde6326bddd0c29b85835a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Still some pretty good looking fossils there!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

More beautiful ‘Baman fossils! Nice job!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks guys!

5 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Still some pretty good looking fossils there!

Nice to hear from ya Dave...hope all is well. I have been keeping up with your blog and love it...keep up the great work!

Looks like some really excellent finds Ric. The first one I find especially stunning, but they're all impressive. Thanks for sharing.

I am not a plant person (my husband is in charge of taking care of all of our plants since plants tend to die under my care :(), but I think I can get into fossil plants - they're easy to take care of, and so beautiful!!!  Now I just have to go hunting in an area that has them... :P

Great finds! :plant: :wub:

Monica

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

The first is beautiful. You could frame it and hang it on the wall, it’s that nice.

Hello Kim, you mean like this? Fortunately I have some experience in custom framing and have been experimenting with different layouts. It's definitely better than storing them in boxes...here r a few. Thank you for the suggestion. Stay tuned....

20170729_230653-1.jpg

2017-10-17 19.06.27.jpg

20171017_191324-1.jpg

20170805_004112-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice wall hangings! I really like the layout and, of course, the subjects. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That is really cool.  I like them.

I was a photography editor many years ago and also did layout and design. I hope it’s ok to give a little critique. The first one is my favorite. The layout and proportions of the pieces to the frame is nice. I like the old wood with the black accent.  The black accent is small and far enough away from the display piece so as not to distract from the piece being displayed. However, whatever is on the vertical stripes behind the pieces distracts from the pieces themselves. Also, I wonder if a black mat may look better to complement the black metalwork on the wood.

2nd one, something feels off. Maybe it is the proportion of the piece to the frame. It looks ok, but maybe a black background would be better, but then I’d think it was too much black. Maybe a wood background. You can by sheet cedar pretty cheep on Amazon. It rolls up and is thin almost like paper. That may be a cool background. I’ll have to try it on some of my pieces.

The 3rd one is my next favorite. It is simple. The piece looks very nice on black. I like the font you used. What font is it? The only thing I think may look better is if the paper were white.

I’ve got this cool handmade paper that I got in New Zealand that has very small pressed plants worked into the paper that would look cool to print the label on. I think some of the paper even has ferns pressed into the paper. I’m giving myself ideas here thinking out loud. LOL

Hope I didn’t offend with the critique. I do like your work. Each person has their own style and expression of it and you’ve definitely got it going on there. Very cool. I’ve been trying to figure out how to mount and frame some of mine. 

Yes, how did you mount it in place?

You’re quite creative. Is that part of your profession? Creative design? If not you’ve got a gift for it. I can see it in this work. Nice stuff.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:02 AM, Rockin' Ric said:

Hello Kim, you mean like this?

It’s funny. I saw this post and read this, but didn’t realize I was the Kim you were referring to. LOL I commented anyway. I just now realized your response was to me from earlier.

I’m not sure why but I only get notification for some of the stuff I select “Notify me of replies.” I haven’t figured out the pattern yet.

The first photo is outstanding, I have wanted to collect some plant fossils for a long time. I guess I will have to start searching sites...I could easily do a weeks camping trip to Alabama. All the fossils I have seen from there, are outstanding...crisp, detailed, and gorgeous. I too like your framing, and think it was clever to use your own Calamites fossil as the illustration on the explanation page. Wonderfully creative and instructive. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:17 AM, dalmayshun said:

The first photo is outstanding, I have wanted to collect some plant fossils for a long time. I guess I will have to start searching sites...I could easily do a weeks camping trip to Alabama. All the fossils I have seen from there, are outstanding...crisp, detailed, and gorgeous. I too like your framing, and think it was clever to use your own Calamites fossil as the illustration on the explanation page. Wonderfully creative and instructive. 

Thank you dalmayshun for the kind comments. If you are in Alabama or come through this way....check the Alabama Paleontological Society website or Facebook page. We do planned field trips 1-2 times a month. I usually can only do one field trip a month because I work on the weekends which is a bummer.