whale bone

Rowboater

Heading back to Singapore with hundreds of tiny shark teeth for my fossil-less friends!

I found some "whale bones" that someone had unearthed but left behind in the creek.  A couple seemed unusual.

One, while thick and heavily fossilized had a concave surface suggesting either hollow inside or maybe just a convex/concave bone piece?  (Aquatic mammals don't have hollow bones, correct?)

The second, also fairly thick and heavy but obvious fibrous "grain" on one side, has a straight v-shaped crease (about 1/8" deep) the length of the piece.  Wondering if this is natural or possibly man made?

There is also a much weathered piece which had some obvious fibrous grain when wet, not so obvious now. Looks like part of a joint?

IMG-20171101-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20171101-WA0003.jpg

Weren't any humans around in the Miocene, assuming that's the era it came from.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Weren't any humans around in the Miocene, assuming that's the era it came from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils#Late_Miocene

At least not in this area, depending on your definition of "human". 

But I don't think we mastered the skill of synthetics quite that early :P

• I found this Informative 1

48 minutes ago, EMP said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils#Late_Miocene

At least not in this area, depending on your definition of "human". 

But I don't think we mastered the skill of synthetics quite that early :P

Yes I did mean human senso stricto, as sahelanthropus may not even be a human ancestor (although I personally believe it is) and ardipithecus (kaddabba was in th Miocene if memory serves) was barely able to walk. So far no hominids other than ourselves have been found in North America (other than @snolly50 the Neanderthal/denisovan of course:P and possible evidence of an erecturine hominid in California which I doubt will pan out). I do love paleoanthropology! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 weeks later...

the porous middle of mammal bones rots under most circumstances (land or underwater). Good fossilization processes such as rapid burial preserve them though. I would suggest that your bones were exposed on the sea floor for a period of time before burial.

The fragment with the groove in it is a part of a baleen whale mandible. The other might be another mandible, or it may be a baleen whale premaxilla.