Green River Fish contents

minnbuckeye

I had the time of my life at Seth's Quarry this summer. Everyone should experience what the Green river formation is like. Here is a 8 inch fish that I am curious about. Look at the enlarged picture of it's abdomen. I have white dots on the structures to be identified. My guess is intestinal contents, but maybe  release of coprolites as the fish died, or I am even considering eggs???? Eggs are a long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask!! 

DSC_0199-002.thumb.JPG.ddf533104ce305995cfc57f0578fca0a.JPGDSC_0199-003.JPG.4226f5827cb8460b3253fb1f4fc11c4d.JPG

The poor fish got "caught in the act"

That is a truly cool find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm in the coprolite camp. If I calculate correctly, the coprolites length are between 0.9 cm and 1.2 cm, which is in range for a 8 inch long fish. Any chance to get higher resolution images of them?

Very nice find, BTW.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm confused about why there appear to be two separate lower jaws with teeth in them.  Is this normal or was he eating a smaller fish at the time? 

Or I suppose it could be the right and left side of a single lower jaw?

9 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I'm confused about why there appear to be two separate lower jaws with teeth in them.  Is this normal or was he eating a smaller fish at the time? 

Or I suppose it could be the right and left side of a single lower jaw?

I do spot another fishes vertebral column in the middle section of the fish, but I think the jaw part may just be the opposite side of the normal jaw.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

WhodamanHD beat me to it.
That surprised me too. I wanted to write, what good preserved the teeth are, when I noticed what you say. I also think that the reddish part of the stomach content may be a vertebral column of swallowed fish.

DSC_0199-002.JPG.68607ef9614aac8ed4d12dab309700af.thumb.JPG.f8a0fa5652441d207c36fc5f1f584793.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

And do we know what species this fish is?  It sort of looks like a Knightia eocaena except for the teeth.  Teeth are not prominent in Knightia.  According to the 1984 edition of Lance Grande's WGS Bulletin 63, they show "at least one row of tiny conical teeth on the maxilla and dentary" but that neither Cope nor Leidy made mention of any teeth in their descriptions.  These teeth seem a little too prominent.  But I will defer to the experts.

5 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

And do we know what species this fish is?  It sort of looks like a Knightia eocaena except for the teeth.  Teeth are not prominent in Knightia.  

@sseth should know. I have not attempted to ID my fish yet. Winter project. This one was bothering me ever since I began working on it.

Maybe it's a Eohiodon falcatus, but that's just a guess. Probably I'm wrong. :headscratch:

Thomas Mann

My Library

26 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe it's a Eohiodon falcatus, but that's just a guess. Probably I'm wrong. :headscratch:

That would be one of the few ways to make this even cooler! Those are extremely rare from what I’ve heard. Only one way to tell for sure! @FossilDudeCO

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Interesting suggestion.  Here is the page from Lance Grande's book The Lost World of Fossil Lake, showing Hiodon falcatus.  In the book Grande says that Eohiodon and Hiodon were synonymized and the older name, Hiodon, has taken preference.  The jaws look similar although the backbone vertebrae might be different.  I'll keep looking through his book to see if I spot anything else that might fit.

59fbb510dbc69_Hiodon1.thumb.jpg.da944c973443c873e7cc5542d3c95277.jpg

Closeup of center photo:

59fbb520baf83_Hiodon2.thumb.jpg.b07fb9b2691655366673824857434a77.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks to all that replied, especially Whodaman for seeing that "minnow" inside this fish's belly. Once we ID the fish, who will be able to ID it's meal? Now that would really be impressive!!

4 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thanks to all that replied, especially Whodaman for seeing that "minnow" inside this fish's belly. Once we ID the fish, who will be able to ID it's meal? Now that would really be impressive!!

Aww shucks:blush: All I did was zoom in a bit!

that would be impressive with the disarticulation, either the size though I would say it's a smal clupeid like knightia or gosiutichthys (probably just butchered the spelling on that)

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Closeup of center photo:

59fbb520baf83_Hiodon2.thumb.jpg.b07fb9b2691655366673824857434a77.jpg

DSC_0199-002.JPG.68607ef9614aac8ed4d12dab309700af.thumb.JPG.3e993453126a780428c3adcb2531c719.JPG

Excellent feedback! I've used Lance's 1984 document trying to resemble the specimens, but your excerpt photo is much better for resemblance.

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

DSC_0199-002.JPG.68607ef9614aac8ed4d12dab309700af.thumb.JPG.3e993453126a780428c3adcb2531c719.JPG

Excellent feedback! I've used Lance's 1984 document trying to resemble the specimens, but your excerpt photo is much better for resemblance.

Grande's 1984 edition of Bulletin 63 has some good photos and a good line drawing of Eohiodon (it was still called that back then), too.  And it has a good list of the identifying features, so I would defer to it for final identification.  Grande himself occasionally logs onto this forum so if we are super lucky he might see this post and comment. @RLG

The dorsal fin looks too far forward to be Eohiodon/Hiodon.  Note that on Eohiodon/Hiodon, the dorsal fin is positioned more or less above the anal fin.

I can't tell if it has a divided dorsal fin or if it's just "beat up", but it looks divided.  I'm thinking Mioplosus.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd agree that your fossil looks like a Mioplosus to me. But, man-o-man, that is a cool fossil none the less. Stomach contents and fecal pellets all associated.... Wow! Congrats!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/